• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis etymology

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
Does anyone know the etymology of the generic name Pelvicachromis? Seems to be some conflicting info.

I always thought Pelvic = belly and chromis = coloured but fishbase is rather confusing:

Latin, pelvica, -ae = bassin + Greek, chromis = a fish, perhaps a perch (Ref. 45335).

What's a bassin?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
"Pelvic" is referring to the pelvic (AKA ventral) fins

One of the defining characteristics of the genus Pelvicachromis is the "squared off" tips of the pelvic fin in females.

"chromis" is fish

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think that Thys explained his name "Pelvicachromis", but I assume it refers to the colorful abdomen - "pelvica" and that the fish is a cichlid - "chromis". The family cichilidae was originally put together with the marine genus Chromis (early 19th century). Many African cichlid genera names use the old generic name Chromis in their name, refering back to this old name. In South America, many cichlid genera use the name 'acara' in the same way.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ihave looked into this before, and there is no consistant explanation that I have found. Though the reference to the pelvic (ventral) fins is possible since it is one of the sexually dimorphic features in all the species, I think that the name doe snot really indicate that. I lean toward the idea that is refers to the coloration ont e female's belly region. We may never know. When the upcoming revision is published, there will likely be a reference to etymology, but it will be the new author's explanation of the original name.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….