• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis Identification and Behaviour Advice?

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
Halloo all.

I will preface that I am trying to snag photos of the fish in question. However, they are still wary of cameras ;)

Was hoping that perhaps a detailed description could help someone nudge me on the right track, though, while I try to snap a pic.

I acquired two Pelvicachromis yesterday afternoon. They were wild caught, and other than "Wild Caught Pelvicachromis" there was no other label. I obtained what I think are one male and one female.

Male: Strong black stripe that completely bisects the fish laterally, including through the caudal fin. The spine also has a black stripe. The back is an olive-brown. The upper portion of the causal (tail) fin has black spots and is colored with orange-red and I think yellow. The bottom half of the caudal is translucent-ish, no spots I don't believe. The pelvic fins are clear, but do have a light (almost electric) blue sheen around the edges. Gill plate underneath the black stripe is a faint yellow/green maybe some blue?. I wish I could get more specific than just this, but he is very reclusive.

Female: Stripe that bisects laterally, but is not as dark. Also a dark spine. Dorsal is translucent, but appears to have some edging of yellow/white/orange. There is a single spot on the dorsal. The caudal fin is rounded and translucent, upon closer inspection it appears that the body stripe "may" also extend into the caudal, but it is hard to tell. Her gill plates underneath the stripe are also yellow-greeny hued. The pelvic and anal fins are also translucent with the blue iridescence. Her belly has a hint of pink / peach instead of purple. In the store, it was darker, but not much.

The behavior is ... interesting. The male was the first to stake out a cave and darken up. Sometimes the male lets her in the cave network. The first night he kicked her out frequently. Now, they appear to cohabit the cave network without issue with only the very infrequent spat. The male appears to be very dominant. The female "appears" to "lay on" things when she is out and about, in that she'll prop herself on a rock, sandhill, or driftwood at an angle, head pointing upward. Occasionally, the male will come out and hover over her. I have seen her go completely still and drift as if dead when he does this. Not all the time, but I have seen it.

Neither have colored up to the extent that I've seen any pelvicachromis pictures. They simply got "darker" and there are places where there's a hue that "promises" color, but there's no actual "real color". The female is 2 inches, the male maybe 2 and 1/4 inches.

Instinct tells me they are still juveniles and won't come into their "color" until later. But I am not sure.

I am also unsure if the behaviour between the pair is something I need to get into the middle of or just leave alone.

Edited to add: they are also more lean and long than football shaped, although the female is slightly shorter and pudgier

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
I managed to get a picture of the female. These are the two clearest pictures, and unfortunately, she paled out and popped horizontal stress bars just from me trying to get the picture. I am using flash. I should note that the colors (other than the dark brown / black) I am not seeing easily with the naked eye. I was surprised how the camera picked them up.

Once I took the camera away and moved from the tank, her horizontal bars faded and her lines became clean again.

Also managed to snag a horrible picture of the two of them.

I think I will leave them be with the picture taking. Causing a bit too much stress, I think.

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
Update:

I placed a couple more dithers into the tank.

The female has lost her habit of vertical stress-barring it when out in the open. She's out and about far more, pecking and sifting around. She will display occasionally at her reflection as she patrols the tank. I assume this is territorial behaviour, and signifies she's making a home of it.

The male still sulks in the cave network. I did see an instance of the female actually kicking the male out for once. That was amusing.

I went back to the fish store to see if I could ask "where" the fish were caught from ... the manager wasn't available, however. So I stared at the tank a bit, with the others in there. It really looks like there's a couple species in that tank. There were a couple males about 4 inches long.

I think mine might be a bit too juvie to properly id. Though it is possible that they are just plain ol pulcher.

I wish I could find an actually listing of specific identifying marks of the species ... this one never has that, that one always has this, etc.

Rod

5 Year Member
My guess is pulcher......

but Image of male would allow confirmation

hint.....round tail in male....taeniatus
spade tail......pulcher

I trust substrate is fine sand not calcium carbonate?

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
Getting a glimpse of the tail on the male is proving troublesome. He is definitely a bugger that hates being looked at.

The substrate is sand, yes.

I managed to snap a couple more pictures, as they've gotten more bold. Again, somewhat washed out. Partly because of the lighting, partly because I think they're still young-ish. The male's tail is pretty spade-ish. Not rounded like the female's at any rate.

So, pulcher it is. I was hoping for taeniatus or subocellotus. Should still be nice fish.

The male is becoming a punk towards the female, though.

Female:

Male:

Rod

5 Year Member
Looks like a young pair...if they are Wild caught they should develop nice colour.....may need soft water???

Male may get more spots on the tail as he gets older

I feed mine NLS and they have developed great colour......

my favourite male.....now has 6 spots on his tail and more red in stomach

Kribensis.jpg

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
The male is coming out more often now. I figured he would once he got hungry.

My water is pretty soft, I'm not too worried about that.

I am worried about two things. The male chases the female around about 80% of the time he sees her. The other 20% he's fine with her around. I'm not sure when would be the cutoff point to just say "Hey, they won't get along, let me separate them".

Also, the most bizarre thing --- when it's lights out, they both leave the cave structure and "sleep" on the tank bottom amongst the pebble rocks wearing their horizontal bars.

disruptfam

Looks like a young pair...if they are Wild caught they should develop nice colour.....may need soft water???

Male may get more spots on the tail as he gets older

I feed mine NLS and they have developed great colour......

my favourite male.....now has 6 spots on his tail and more red in stomach

Kribensis.jpg

Hey mate

whats NLS?

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
No worries :)

Now, I've not done anything special other than make sure they've been fed ... but in the space of 24-36 hours, the female, who has been eating like a pig, has finally rounded out her belly. She's also starting to color up.

This, evidently, has improved her confidence. The male still attempts to chase her about, but instead of fleeing she will swim slightly higher than he and show off her belly. This appears to (for want of a better term) mesmerize the male who then forgets why he was chasing her. He attempts to chase again a little bit after, rinse wash repeat.

He is starting to develop some color now, as well ... but not quite as much as the girl so far.

The female appears as if her predominate color is a bright yellow. The male has a turquoise spot on his cheek. It is still hard to get pictures of the male ... he does come out more often now ... but is skittish about the camera. Water is a bit cloudy from having planted a plant.

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
Figured I'd give a slight update. They appear to be coming into their colors now. And while there is the occasional quarrel, have paired off ... as much as kribs can be I guess.

I'm still learning how to take pictures. I did have to drop the gamma a bit on my camera. The female is in the last picture ... that's about how much she'll come out of the cave structure now. The male now spends all of his time patrolling ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….