• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi all

Boyd's Aquariums

I've been keeping and breeding apistogramma species for few yrs now and love every one of them. Have a question about the nijsseni I bought from aqua huna. I know the yellow one is a female but the "male" nijsseni they sent me is smaller than her and was wondering everyone opinion on if it's male or female. The fist 2 pics are the "male" 3rd pic if female for sure.

Attachments

• 20231212_170442.jpg
    20231212_170442.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • 20231212_170418.jpg
    20231212_170418.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 20231212_170335.jpg
    20231212_170335.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 42

Boyd's Aquariums

The first 2 look like a male A. nijsseni. The female is odd in that she shows no flank patch.
She shows the flank patch on one side but not the other. Weird I know. Got these at the same time and they were the same size and it's been months and he is still the same size!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I see this quite often lately, maybe people should stop breeding with females that show only one or no flank patch...
I see the same with my A. wolli at times, only on 1 side, but never none at all. I totally agree with you. Any of my females with this "defect" are culled from my breeding maintenance program.

Boyd's Aquariums

I see the same with my A. wolli at times, only on 1 side, but never none at all. I totally agree with you. Any of my females with this "defect" are culled from my breeding maintenance program.
I will not be breeding this pair then. I do have 10 trifasciata fry that are 2 weeks old if anyone is interested when they are sexable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….