• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange behaviour?

auntyfishy

Has anyone had this happen? I have a caucatoides female in her own planted 10 gal. Her and my other apisto’s are all very familiar with me. She was very plump with eggs and as I was watching her one evening she would come to me and roll on her side a couple times to show her abdomen then go over to her cave about 8” away and go in. She kept repeating this maneuver many times. It was like she was treating me like her mate. Very strange I thought but maybe not?

auntyfishy

I am currently on the hunt for a decent male for her. I have 2 that I had ordered in from eastern Canada. They were both supposed to be triple red caucatoides as the female is but as they matured neither one has even close to double red color and the one has an upper jaw defect. It didn’t grow big enough so his mouth is always partly open. They are from the same batch so I feel that the other may also carry partial genetics for this mouth deformity. So I guess she will have to wait till I can source a triple or quad male that actually has proper color and hopefully no weird structure deformities.

MacZ

Domestic breeds of A. cacatuoides are a genetical mess. Overbred from mass production, inbred over generations, bad genetics all over the place. People haven't thought about it and bred fish that showed really bad traits and deformities. Decent genetics in these fish are basically extinct at this point.

auntyfishy

Thank you for your insight very appreciated.
I am new to apisto’s so that is why I have the caucatoides as they were supposed to be a good starter apisto. With the poor genetics I am rethinking this species. I will probably just rehome them separately so there is no breeding of these inferior males. They can just be pet fish to someone else. Is it possible to get any suggestions on other types of apisto’s that are suitable for a newer freshwater person. I have only had apisto’s for approx 10 month and have seriously started with planted tanks and not as common fish in the last 12-13 months. I’m interested in something flashy with color and nice fins. My A borellii M/F are lovely in my cooler upstairs tank with the sawbwa resplendens & Pygmy Cory’s. This is my community tank they are the main attraction, so beautiful. I just sold my first batch of Pygmy Cory’s, and had successful batch of A Erythrura’s. Many years ago just on a whim raised a batch of angels and zebra danios with no assistance just figured it out on my own and it worked so I sold a bunch of each of those. It was just to challenge myself. So I am interested in some type of apisto that would fit this bill for me and would be suitable for breeding.
Thank you for any information that is offered. Krista n

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….