• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Macmasteri Breeding in 30g Community Tank

Rocktria

Hello all,

I recently got a macmasteri pair that I placed in my 30g community tank. The tank currently houses:

CPDs
Kubotai Rasboras
Rosy Loaches
Gertrude Spotted Rainbow fish

Would the pair be able to successfuly breed/raise fry in this tank with the other fish in this tank? Or would the fry and/or eggs be eaten? I figured they might be fine since the fish I have are pretty small, and the mother guards their eggs.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thank you

MacZ

Breeding in a community tank ist rarely successful. In this case additionally the other fish might not be able to withstand the wrath of a brooding/fry-raising apistogramma female.

The rainbows have a tendency towards the surface, those might work as dithers, the others... I'd not do it.

anewbie

With your current stocking i would be a bit concern mixing them with the rosy loaches. These are more of a specialty loach and I'm not sure they would respond well to another bottom fish esp one that would dominate them; also not sure they are water compatible. I haven't kept them but decided to pass on them because I didn't think i could off them proper care as they seem to have special requirements to prosper that were not compatible with my environment. The cpd and kubotai would not be an issue with breeding mac and would generally stay away from them. No clue about the rainbow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….