• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild caught Apisto ID needed please

finzz

5 Year Member
A_luelingi_male.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, but these guys are very, very shy. We collected them in the Madre de Dios region of Peru and guides said they were A. luelingi but they don't look like it to me. Possibly A. ortegai?
Thanks
Don

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Definately not ortegai (Papagei), but I don't know which species. Urteagai seems like a good guess with the spoy on the tail base, little amound of caudal patterns and blue with spotted pattern on the anal fin. But again, I don't know, I am not an expert with most Aapisto species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's a resticulosa-complex species. There are 2 species of the complex known to inhabit the Peruvian part of the Madre de Dios: A. urteagai and A. cf. resticulosa (Madre de Dios). From what I can see in the photos your fish is probably A. urteagai, which has a more robust body and a more oval/lens-like caudal spot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….