• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

problems with corydoras

Y

yianniem

I have a strange question regarding my corydoras. I have found a few dead recently and upon close investigation I noticed that they no longer had their whiskers. This prompted me to examine my surviving corys and they to were suffering from "short whisker syndrome." Is this something similat to fin rot (not that I have any in this tank but just asking)? Also could this be the doing of some of the corys tankmates, there is a mystery catfish in the tank which I suspect is picking off my neons too? Any help would be appreciated.

S

sugar

Could also be a problem concerning the substrate you're using

Corydoras don't like sharp gravel surface, their whiskers can be cut of that way. Best substrate for corydoras is sand

sugar

farm41

5 Year Member
yianniem said:
"short whisker syndrome." Is this something similat to fin rot

Exactly right, you can usually blame both on poor water conditions.

Too many people blame the substrate, only later to find the whiskers grow back once water conditions are better.

Change that water more often and the cories whiskers will grow back 8)

Andrew C

5 Year Member
Yianniem
Farm 41 is right, but also Vacuum The Gravel Regularly.

I had the same problem when i first started keeping corys and kept losing them, until a Cory Breeder i knew said, that bacteria can build up in the gravel if it is not cleaned regularly.
Since then i have not had any problems.

Andrew.

farm41

5 Year Member
I haven't vacuumed the gravel in my planted tanks for a couple years. I do have them heavily planted and the substrate is disrupted frequently by uprooting and replanting. The MTS also roll it over consistantly. 50% water changes weekly too. Cory's look real good and have a full set of barbels.

Water changes, water changes, and more water changes

farm41

5 Year Member
Yep, I agree. That is why I carefully spelled out why I get away without vacuuming. I wasn't disagreeing with your statement, just pointing out what works for me. May not work in most tanks, and I definately wouldn't suggest anyone not vacuum their tanks. In my situation, with 3.5wpg and co2 injection, the detritus is a useful element in my fertilization scheme. I think the MTS have a lot to due with it too, churning the gravel and burying the detritus nightly.

Most need to vacuum.

YMMV

Andrew C

5 Year Member
Sorry Matt, i picked you up wrong.
I only had a medium planted tank at the time and had read that you shouldn't clean the gravel as it will help the existing plants, but it did not help the the corys.

Just remembering a bad mistake.

Andrew.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….