• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

No babies

CBon

I have a pair of wild caught Pelvicachromis Taeniatus (Nyete) who are homed in their own 60L tank with redmoor and manzanita wood, sand substrate, and a couple of coconut shells. They have done the diggin, done the "jiggin", but no babies :( Any ideas whats wrong ?

DwarfApisto

Be patint with them. I don't know what the temp of your tank is? but, they like it cool. between 72-74 degrees. If the conditions are right they will spawn for you. Good luck

wethumbs

5 Year Member
While they come from cooler water temperature, they can be spawned in a wide range of temperature in aquarium. They do however require softer water for the eggs to hatch. No baby doesnt mean they havent spawned. Look for missing female as a sign of spawning has taken place since female stays in the cave to guard the eggs. Oh, they are cave spawners, so a choice of several caves with opening just wide enough for the male to get through is ideal.

CBon

Thanks guys. I am sure they have spawned in that case because the behaviours above have all happened but my water is hard as rock. Looks like Santa is going to get a request for an RO unit this Christmas.

Wuwuwu54

Are the only problems you are seeing with them in the hard water unhatching eggs? It seems as though they are wild caught they would not tolerate the hard water well.

Wuwuwu54

Okay, that makes sense, my city water is on the extreme side of hard so I doubt these type of fish would do well in it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….