• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding splash tetras....

rr16

5 Year Member
I just found around 30 eggs from C. compta in an adapted plant pot base this morning, so thanks Tom and have put these in a breeding net now. Not sure if they'll be F1 from wilds or F2 as the young ones are getting mature now.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Nice!
Do you have infusoria / paramecium ready for them, or will you feed them with other kind of food?

rr16

5 Year Member
Just found around 50 or so more eggs and one largish fry in the same thing - transferred them all to the breeding net now. Hopefully they'll hatch. I have some jars with infusoria in on thw windowsill, plus I have raised them on fine powder and rotifers before. The breeding net has lots of detritus, algae and plants in so probably also has a lot of infusoria too. Also have some JBL fry food based on artemia. So, we shall see how they go on - like I said, hopefully they'll hatch and won't all get eaten by snails.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Great! Not often people are as good prepared as you are!
For me there is something magic with huge numbers of fry ... as when Apistogramma hyppolytae produced more than 200 fry from one spawning, when a female Apistogramma borellii had more than 100 fry herself, in addition "stole" all the fry from 2 other breeding females in the tank, and thus ended up leading around 300 fry around in the tank, or when Pyrrhulina zigzag produced "a few" fry:

resizeimage.aspx

Fingers crossed all the eggs will hatch!

rr16

5 Year Member
Haha, don't think I will have large numbers. Have counted at least 3 this evening (1 larger than the other two!), but not had chance to see if the eggs are hatched or not. Been at Chester Zoo all day and pretty sure Steve cycled past me on a bicycle there, but as I've only met him once I wasn't sure it was him! He wants some of these fry to try to breed them. I have 5 or 6 F1 sub-adults so once they're sexable I'll get in touch with him to pass them on.
My Pyrrhulina cf. brevis seem to be displaying some territorial behaviour so am hoping they'll be next. Hoping my C. arnoldi will start spawning again soon as I have the tank set up with lots of overhanging vegetation now.

rr16

5 Year Member
Got some infusoria from one of my jars!

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    736.8 KB · Views: 471

rr16

5 Year Member
I'll have to try this. Mine are on a small scale and in jars in the conservatory. I suspect yours are much more dense and established than mine.

rr16

5 Year Member
Not a great photo, but found him resting in there this morning, then found some eggs. Have put an identical, but un cut plant pot tray underneath this then lifted both out of the water to see if they hatch. I feel a bit sorry for him as hr convinces a female to spawn and I keep removing the eggs!

Attachments

• DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 481

rr16

5 Year Member
Congrats on the the breeding. Does the breeding seemed to be triggered by water changes? Or temp changes?
Steve
Not that I've noticed, but I haven't kept an eye on temperature too closely. The males defend territory a lot and the odd few fry and eggs have turned up recently but they seem to have been spawning more recently. This may have been triggered by F1 females maturing as the first big round of spawning occured as soon as the wild juveniles spawned.

rr16

5 Year Member
Here's a pic of the fry today. Counted about 8 in total. They're darting about a bit. Poured them into the breeding net so hopefully they'll be ok. The tray has gone back in the tank so hopefully the male will have it filled again soon.
DSC_0105.JPG

rr16

5 Year Member
Not found any of the earlier fry in the breeding net for a few days now so they may, or may not be there. However, got home to find about 100 eggs today so going to try hatching them in a takeaway tub on the glass ledge of my 5 footer then put them in a new breeding net in that tank.

Attachments

• DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 467
  • DSC_0181.JPG
    DSC_0181.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 448
  • DSC_0182.JPG
    DSC_0182.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 459

rr16

5 Year Member
Spotted quite a few fry already this morning - fingers crossed.

rr16

5 Year Member
Well, I came home to find some C. arnoldi eggs on an emersed Hydrocotyle leaf in my tank (only about 3 or 4 eggs). I removed the leaf and have put it in the tub that the hatched C. compta fry are in (loads of them!). I then looked at the C. arnoldi adults and noticed that one male was displaying with the interest of at least 3 females (not sure how many he actually spawned with) and they were then jumping out onto Spathyphyllum leaves and spawning.
Copella arnoldi spawning 2.jpg
Copella arnoldi spawning 2.jpg
Copella arnoldi spawning.jpg

rr16

5 Year Member
Those are two different photos above but managed to add one of them twice!
Here's a vid too!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….