• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

best substrate for apisto's and rams.

williemcd

I usually stick with Discus and Angels but have recently acquired two pairs of agassizi's dbl reds, one pair of which has bred underneath my nose.. Now I'm setting up a tank just for the 5 apisto's and 5 German Blue Rams. Typically, I use PFS for my substrate but with these two guys, being substrate spawners, should I set this tank up with fine gravel or stick with the sand? Bill in Va.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I always use plain sand (remember they're eartheaters).

On the other hand, the A. agassizi is not a substrate spawner but a cave one.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have recently discovered a new substrate I am becoming a fan of: Turface. This is a very hard baked clay product that is manufactured for substrates under grass or turf/grass combination athletic fields. Most businesses that maintain/build sports facilities sell it. You can get smaller quantities from www.ripariumsupply.com.

Turface is GREAT as a substrate for plants, is dark in color and the consistency of a fine gravel. I use it by itself or mixed 50/50 with silica sand in tanks where I want to grow plants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….