• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma borellii range?

Joshaeus

5 Year Member
Hi all! I am trying to get a better assessment of how cold tolerant Apistogramma borellii is for next year's water garden plans. However, I keep getting conflicting info on which countries (and what parts of them) are within this fish's natural range. Exactly WHERE is A. borellii located in the wild? Thanks :)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hi all! I am trying to get a better assessment of how cold tolerant Apistogramma borellii is for next year's water garden plans. However, I keep getting conflicting info on which countries (and what parts of them) are within this fish's natural range. Exactly WHERE is A. borellii located in the wild? Thanks :)
Have a look at <"Borellii from natural....">.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. borellii has a very wide distribution by apisto standards. It is found throughout the Río Paraguay system from the Mato Grosso in southern Brazil to northern Argentina. It is also found in the Río Uruguai system in Uruguay. Staeck reported collecting the species in water down to 10°C (50°F), but they were very sluggish. I guess this is close to their lower lethal limit for temperature.

gerald

5 Year Member
Keep in mind that fish seek out groundwater seeps in streams and lakes during times when the rest of the water-body is too warm or too cold. Where these seeps enter the stream or lake there can be "micro-habitats" (often in root mats along the shore) 10 degrees warmer in winter or cooler in summer than the rest of the stream. The report of "collecting A. borellii in water in the 40's" might not actually reflect the water temperature where the fish was hiding prior to capture.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….