• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma borellii water parameters

Joshaeus

5 Year Member
Hello! I recently acquired two pairs of Apistogramma borellii (which are in two separate tanks for those that are concerned) and have a question about what kind of water parameters they require for breeding. When I researched them before purchasing them the first websites I found suggested that they would breed in fairly hard water, with several sites giving a GH range of 0 to 15 degrees and one giving a PH range of 5 to 8...HOWEVER, more recent research on this forum seems to suggest that breeding them requires much softer water than I thought. What water parameters (GH, KH, TDS/conductivity) should I shoot for to breed this particular apisto? I haven't tested KH in a while and currently don't have a TDS meter (will likely get one in the near future), but the GH in my tanks is 13 degrees (too high?) and PH is in the mid 7's. The apistos (which I have had a little over two weeks) are seemingly healthy but have yet to show any signs of breeding activity. Thank you :)

Apistoguy52

They’re awfully flexible, the numbers you posted above are correct IMO, pH from 5-8, tds between 5-100 (10-200 us/cm). When I was breeding a bunch of them, folks that got fry reported successful spawns at 150ppm tds (300us/cm) and a pH near 8.

Joshaeus

5 Year Member
They’re awfully flexible, the numbers you posted above are correct IMO, pH from 5-8, tds between 5-100 (10-200 us/cm). When I was breeding a bunch of them, folks that got fry reported successful spawns at 150ppm tds (300us/cm) and a pH near 8.
Well, that seems to confirm my suspicion...I may not have a TDS meter now, but I did in the past and my tap water has a higher TDS/conductivity than that from the tap (and I've been adding salts to the water for the plants...). Guess my breeding setup needs a rethink...thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….