• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma baenschi “Inka”

Northman

I picked up a pr of Apistogramma baenschi “Inka”. They are in a 20L with sand, driftwood, leaves, some water sprite and frog bit. Tank mates include pencilfish, dwarf cories and some ottos. I have 2 questions:
The male chases the female every chance he gets. She hardly comes out form under the leaves even to eat. Should I get a few more females to diffuse aggression? How many in a 20L?
Also, (I know this might be a stupid question but ...) if I cant find female "Inka" could I put A.Baenschi that aren't Inka in there?
Thanks for your help,
Northman

Racine Vice

I keep a pair of A. baenschi in a 10 gallon tank. Once a spawn gets a few weeks old, the male turns on the female and chases her until she is out of sight. I assume this is because the male wants to spawn again and the female isn't ready yet. So in your case, maybe the male wants spawn, but the female does not. Also, A. baenschi is a pair-bondng species so a given male and given female may not be compatible with each other. If they are not compatible, it may help to have another female it your tank. I would just make sure there are plenty of hiding places (i.e. caves) and decorate the tank so there a breaks in their line of sight and see how their relationship progresses.

With regards to your other question, A. sp. Inca/Inka, A. sp. Inka 50 etc. are just trade names for A. baenschi. In other words they are the same species of fish.

Cheers,

Scott

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The male chases the female every chance he gets. She hardly comes out form under the leaves even to eat. Should I get a few more females to diffuse aggression? How many in a 20L?

Good choice of fish, but do you mean 20 litres? If you do you need a much bigger tank even for a pair (as Scott says they are pair forming). I wouldn't go smaller than 2' long (60 litres), and I keep very complex, weedy tanks.

Have a look at ApistoBob's profile for A. baenschi <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_baenschi.php> and his pages on aquarium care <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
A temporary divider might be a good idea for a few weeks until she's recovered and eating well. So they can see and smell each other, but no chasing.

Darrel -- in the US "20L" means 20 gallon Long (30 x 12 x 12 inches) as opposed to "20H" = 20 gallon High (24 x 12 x 16 inches).

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Thanks Gerald, I think I'd just answered my own question, (you mean 20 US gallons , long footprint) in which case the size is fine, so it may be a cover issue.

This is the tank that I have a pair of Dicrossus maculatus in:
dicrossus_clup1_resize-1.jpg

cheers Darrel

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've also been in email contact about this problem and it sounds like he may have 2 male baenschi. These were young tank raised fish when he got them (not from me) but I'm waiting on pictures of the fish to confirm things.

Northman

I appreciate the responses guys. Here are some pics. I sent them to Jeff to look at but wanted to post them here as well. Are they good enough to sex them? The first pic is of the sub (supposed to be the female) and the next two are of the male. I learned from Jeff females should have black on their ventral fins. Neither of my fish do. Do you think I have 2 males?
If the pics arent good enough I'll try again tonight when the room is dark.

Thanks for your help
Sub1.jpg
Dom2.jpg
Dom1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
To be honest, I cannot even be certain that the fish in the top photo is A. baenschi. Am I imagining things? Does the fish show rows of very faint stripes in the caudal fin? From this one photo, it looks more like A. sp. Nanay/Melgar to me. Whether or not it is A. baenschi, I would expect to see black spines and anterior rays on the ventral fins. Whatever the fish is, my guess is that it is a male.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
To be honest, I cannot even be certain that the fish in the top photo is A. baenschi. Am I imagining things? Does the fish show rows of very faint stripes in the caudal fin? From this one photo, it looks more like A. sp. Nanay/Melgar to me. Whether or not it is A. baenschi, I would expect to see black spines and anterior rays on the ventral fins. Whatever the fish is, my guess is that it is a male.

Mike he got them from me. There are no Melgar/Nanay in the tank, I dont have that fish. The upper pic is female baenschi. Lower is male. Northman--Inka, Inka 50 are all common names for Apistogramma baenschi, they are the same fish.

Northman

Its ok dave, if your conscience is clear and you feel that I received what was agreed upon in Aquabid then so be it. Mike Wise says its a male but dave says female, so we'll go with that. I cant get excited over 60.00, it wont make or break me. It would be a shame if it were someone else, someone who couldn't afford to take the loss.

Just so other potential buyers are aware. Dave charges 35.00 to Express ship on Aquabid. In my experience, and in mine alone, he sent the fish in a 10.00 USPS flat rate box and only paid 5.50 of it using pitney bowes. When I got to the PO I had to put up the other 5.00 or the fish were going to go back to him. So I paid 40.00 for a 10.00 flat rate ship! Too funny or sad, depends on how you look at it ... I choose funny :)

Jeff from Aquaticclarity.com saved the day with 2 females. I have a strong feeling that that is exactly what I will receive. Thanks Jeff!

Lesson learned? Trust your intuition ...

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Its ok dave, if your conscience is clear and you feel that I received what was agreed upon in Aquabid then so be it. Mike Wise says its a male but dave says female, so we'll go with that. I cant get excited over 60.00, it wont make or break me. It would be a shame if it were someone else, someone who couldn't afford to take the loss.

Just so other potential buyers are aware. Dave charges 35.00 to Express ship on Aquabid. In my experience, and in mine alone, he sent the fish in a 10.00 USPS flat rate box and only paid 5.50 of it using pitney bowes. When I got to the PO I had to put up the other 5.00 or the fish were going to go back to him. So I paid 40.00 for a 10.00 flat rate ship! Too funny or sad, depends on how you look at it ... I choose funny :)

Jeff from Aquaticclarity.com saved the day with 2 females. I have a strong feeling that that is exactly what I will receive. Thanks Jeff!

Lesson learned? Trust your intuition ...

You paid 45.00 for the fish incl priority shipping

Invoice

Date: 4/15/2012
Invoice # 44
SWDC
14818 Bluegrass Loop
Sisters, OR 97759
US
Phone: 541-508-9612
Fax:
[email protected]
To

Ben Balfour

Ship To

Ben XXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXX NY 11102

Salesperson
Job
Shipping Method
Shipping Terms
Delivery Date
Payment Terms
Due Date

4/15/2012

Name
Description
Qty.
Unit Price
Discount
Line Total

Apistogramma baenschi

$25.00
$25.00

USPS Priority

$20.00
$20.00

Total Discount
$0.00

Subtotal
$45.00
Sales Tax
$0.00
Total
$45.00

Make all checks payable to David Soares
Thank you for your business!
You may continue acting like this but---you will lose people to buy fish from, if Mike cant even identify the fish as Baenschi from a photo like that---how can he identify a female baenschi. Mu conscience is fine thank you for the concern

I cannot even be certain that the fish in the top photo is A. baenschi

Northman

Dave, please remove my name and address from your last post. You obviously manipulated the total price. Lets drop this please and move on.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Read the description of baenschi, I think that I know the fish from egg to grave:
http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?id=559&content=profile

it is the same as Inka, Inka 50-Ben--before you staret to run around crazy--maybe you need to get your feet underneath yu a little better--look at the authors of the description--my last name is Soares, Ingo is an entomologist, brilliant really, and M.Wohler, is a good friend--Martin Wohler. The name baenschi--it is named after the publisher of Cichlid Atlas I and Cichlid Atlas II, Hans Baensch. He is also going to publish--the revision of Cichlid Atlas I wihich is due soon--I will havwe them folks. And Cichlid Atlas III. I am going over in Sept to talk about distribution.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
So-now Ben I am going to empart some knowledge, the above fish are the parents of the fishbh I sent you. They are wild fish. collected by my German partner and his team in Peru last summer, normally he wouldnt bring baenschi back with him--but these wre especieally nice looking, a lttle brighter, a little bit nicer, you know. I brought two pairs back after visiting him in Germany last October. Apistogramma have a little bit different look depending on the collection site, fish a mile away from fish in another site--can be fairle distinctive looking as compared to the same species from a different site, so these fish are a little different from baenschi's from another location. So you take the fish from Jeff, whatever they are F-30's or whatever, they cant be from the same location, and you throw them together, you will dilute the color form>You have a lot to learn my friend.

Now some words of advice: one) the Genus apistogramma is like the rivers it comes from, always flowing and changing, new ones in-old ones out and 2) there is no one be all and know it all authority on the Genus, not me, not Mike Wise. There is one guy that is putting the most energy into the study of them--and that's my partner Uwe, and he doesnt know everyting there is to know about them--just ask Mike, he'll tell ya.

Matt1892

Not to get in the middle of this or anything but, I got 4 apisto baenschi inkas from Dave about 2 weeks ago. Clearly inkas clearly 2m 2f. Just saying, for you, if it happened to be 2 males, it was most likely an honest mistake. Also I was not ripped off on shipping, I believe these money disputes can also be handled on aquabid with negative feed back and if the injustice was so incredible I believe the site has methods of getting money back. I think everyone would appreciate less bickering about transactions (sellers/buyers conflict) of these beautiful fish because in the end nobody gains anything and reputations of both parties can be damaged. Lastly, I believe Dave would be in a much different business if it was his intention to purposely rip someone off, honest mistakes happen and I understand that it can seem a certain way and it may have been simply a poor transaction but in a hobby where there are so many variables and unknowns, I think we all need to be patient and hope for a little luck sometimes, especially with Internet sales becoming a normal method of acquiring fish.
Much love guys.
-Matt

Northman

Matt, reread the thread. You'll notice I never once mentioned Dave and I wasn't going to either; he got himself involved. I was looking to figure out what I had in my tank so I could work towards getting a breeding pair, thats all. I dont think he gave me two males intentionally but he didnt offer resolution either (communication via email).
I would really appreciate it if people would not get involved with this thread (moderators are the exception of course :)). I really want to distance myself from the whole experience. Its only money; not a very big deal.
Thanks,
Ben

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
No resolution required, you got a male and a female. I described the darn fish, I know them absolutley. You didnt even know Inka Inka 50 and baenschi are the same fish. If youdont want people commenting on your business, dont take it public. And I would ratheryoudidnt mix these fish with whatever Jeff sends you.
Uwe and I are working with a project in Peru to catalogue and collect fish in the river systems pretty much in the Nanay and to the north. The collecting aspect has as it's goal to collect DNA, preserved specimens and live specimens. The desire is to make sure that these fish are not lost forever due to the rapid destruction of their habitat. I go to Germany after Uwe returns from there, he usually spends from a month to 3 months there working. He always has specimens that we want to try and sppread through the hobby. YOu got some of those fish, I have 5 more species here that I will be releasing before the eend of summer. Dont mix my fish with Jeff's, you will muddy the Gene pool

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….