• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with sexing Apistogramma Elizabethae

r9inthehouse

Ah. So the the pH-scale doesn't go low enough on the strips anyway. I wouldn't count on them at all.

Again, I wouldn't trust the readings. And well... you could use several smaller bags instead, couldn't you?

I don't speak brand names, usually I pick whatever I need by the specifications. So I'd have to look this up. Soil usually loses its pH-lowering effect after 2-6 months depending on the amounts.

Mind to show a picture of the whole tank? Maybe something else shows then you wouldn't recognize but others might.

- Still very thin.
- Still stress colouration.
- Something's wrong with the mouth but I can't really pinpoint it. Keep an eye on that.
Sure! It’s a 60cm x 30cm x 36cm. It was started about a month ago and I don’t think it’s fully cycled yet, the water got cloudy as I was desperate to feed the new fish and put in too many bbs, water is not clear yet but making progress everyday.

There are two sponge filters at the back thus the bubbles.

Great observations! It’s still being bullied by the female but I think it’s not doing bad by actively swimming and scavenging for food. Will definitely keep an eye on its condition.

Attachments

• 412A9FC4-9FE2-45A9-8EAB-1861B11D6D04.jpeg
    412A9FC4-9FE2-45A9-8EAB-1861B11D6D04.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 77

MacZ

Sure! It’s a 60cm x 30cm x 36cm. It was started about a month ago and I don’t think it’s fully cycled yet, the water got cloudy as I was desperate to feed the new fish and put in too many bbs, water is not clear yet but making progress everyday.
That's quite a small tank. What's the full stock?

Cycling works differently in softwater. I recommend adding at least one pothos plant to grow emersed. Plants will help with overall stability.

I doubt the bacteria bloom (that's what the cloudiness is) comes from one overfeeding but from too much organic matter. Now that I see... did you soak the wood before adding to the tank and with what water? RO or tap?

Great observations! It’s still being bullied by the female but I think it’s not doing bad by actively swimming and scavenging for food. Will definitely keep an eye on its condition.
Besides the fact I think the word "bullying" is probably the wrong choice... in that tank size I'd only keep a single Apistogramma except if it was A. borellii. Be prepared to move that fish sooner or later.

r9inthehouse

That's quite a small tank. What's the full stock?

Cycling works differently in softwater. I recommend adding at least one pothos plant to grow emersed. Plants will help with overall stability.

I doubt the bacteria bloom (that's what the cloudiness is) comes from one overfeeding but from too much organic matter. Now that I see... did you soak the wood before adding to the tank and with what water? RO or tap?

Besides the fact I think the word "bullying" is probably the wrong choice... in that tank size I'd only keep a single Apistogramma except if it was A. borellii. Be prepared to move that fish sooner or later.
I currently have 2 Elizabethae, 10 cardinal tetras, 2 otocinclus and 2 amino shrimps.

ah ha! I think that probably is one of the problems, the driftwoods were already soaked when I bought them and I have no idea what kind of water was used, now I think it’s possible that they are slowly releasing some unknown particles…

MacZ

ah ha! I think that probably is one of the problems, the driftwoods were already soaked when I bought them and I have no idea what kind of water was used, now I think it’s possible that they are slowly releasing some unknown particles…
That might be it.

MacZ

I currently have 2 Elizabethae, 10 cardinal tetras, 2 otocinclus and 2 amino shrimps.
In the wake of the sexing by two very reliable people, I'd probably rehome one, or both, Apistogramma and if the latter to start over with a single specimen. Your tank is obviously a display tank, probably better that way. It can hardly stay the way it is.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….