• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why are curvicep cichlids not more popular ?

Zincubus

5 Year Member
Just bought a beautiful pair of Curviceps cichlids and can't understand why they are not extremely popular .

They are dwarf cichlids and as such VERY attractive and interesting to watch.

They are so peaceful and gentle much calmer than my Rams or even Borelli cichlids.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_curviceps.php

PS They are kept in my community tank.
Any thoughts ??.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
In my country, they´re not popular because they never reach my country (at least in the last 10 years).

So I can´t give my opinion about their behaviour.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that there are two or three reasons for it. One, the farm-raised fish found in most stores are not as colorful as the wild fish are, and they are rarely colored up at all in the stores. They are not that pretty when people are looking for fish to buy. Two, they are probably considered by some hobbyists as being too common. So what? It is still a cool fish, and nothing is wrong with inexpensive fish. Three, the entire genus Laetacara is in a down trend in popularity right now. Ten years ago they were very popular. I was keeping L. curviceps, L. dorsigera, L. sp. 'Buckelkopf' and L. thayeri.

In my mind L. curviceps is a part of a select group of SA dwarf cichlids I think everyone should try once. They are a good species to work with when learning how to accomodate dwarf cichlids without sinking a lot of money into rare, wild fish. Just for kicks, here is my list: Apistogramma cacatuoides, A. borelli, A. aggassizii, A. macmasteri/veijita or similar, Leatacara curviceps or dorsigera, Nannacara anomala and Microgeophagus ramirezi. If a breeder works their way through that group successfully, then the more difficult species will not be as frustrating.

viejo

5 Year Member
The main reason that farm raised fish are 'pigmentally challenged' IMHO, is that they are fed on foods that are low in pigment precursors ( Carotenoids, etc)... Place 'em in a tank, feed em with high grade color inducing foods: Crustacea,spirulina & trace elements (Like iron) & watch the magical transformation.. There may be some cases where inbreeding comes into play but I don't think it is very common.. Commercial breeders are generally working with a large gene pool....

BTW: I happen to love LAETACARA esp. Curviceps & am trying my damndest to acquire some more...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….