• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some Apistogrammas from Peru...

Mazan

One of the males today...
IMG_8154.jpeg

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Beautiful fish.. the two fish in the pictures looks very alike (to me atleast) so i checked Toms site to see more pictures and sexual dimorphs.
The new pictures there looks amazing.

Anyway, good luck with them.

-r

Mazan

Beautiful fish.. the two fish in the pictures looks very alike (to me atleast) so i checked Toms site to see more pictures and sexual dimorphs.
The new pictures there looks amazing.

Anyway, good luck with them.

-r
Thank you, that was concerning me a bit too, although the second one I posted is much smaller it looks similar to the males. I will see if I can get a photo of the other "female" tomorrow.

Mazan

So this is the other supposed female. The black eye surround and stripe are much less pronounced on this individual than on the other small one, but could be a mood or condition thing?? (apologies for the not so clean glass!).

IMG_8181 2.jpeg

And this is the "free gift"!

IMG_8172.jpeg

anewbie

I can't comment with intelligence on the sex thing and will leave that to the expert; but I am curious if the free gift was wild caught.

Mazan

I can't comment with intelligence on the sex thing and will leave that to the expert; but I am curious if the free gift was wild caught.
Yes, it was wild , I am not sure if it came from Peru or Colombia, will have ask...

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
As usual with new species, not many photos of females are available. However, to me the fish in your last Ladislao-photo looks like a male. The other small one might still be too small to sex, at least for my sexing skills. One thing I found by looking through my Ladislao photos that might be helpful to you: it seems that females always have yellow anal fin whereas males can also have blue ones... But as I said, this observation is based on very few photos!

Mazan

Thanks, I just hope I don't end up with 4 males (it happened to me last time I got Apistogrammas...).

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
In this video by Oliver Lukanus at 5:24 there seems to be a female (in the background) because there's also a smaller but way more masculine looking specimen also in the video:
Thanks for sharing!
Note that the Apisto in this video is A. sp. Amaya (aka A. sp. Ladislao 2, see here). They may turn out to be the same species as A. sp. Ladislao but they can also be different, so that it's important to keep them apart and be precise with naming. The same is true for another brand-new one called A. sp. Maca. Whether Mazan's fish are in fact what they were sold as, i.e. A. sp. Ladislao, will have to be seen. If the males will not develop any red markings on the head, they are more likely A. sp. Amaya (according to what we know at the moment).

Mazan

In this video by Oliver Lukanus at 5:24 there seems to be a female (in the background) because there's also a smaller but way more masculine looking specimen also in the video:
Yes, thanks for this, really interesting video. It seems I should have put rocks their tank rather than wood! I might add some to make it more authentic... I wish I could have bought some of the pencilfish to go with them. But I have already spent too much on fish lately and they were $28 each...!

With the Apistogrammas I will just have to be patient and see how they turn out. At any rate they all seem to be healthy. The thin male no longer looks thin. But he is still the more dominant one and has appropriated a place in the centre front of the tank, and will not allow any of the others near. But he does not continue chasing them once they have left his space, which is demarcated by two logs. The other male is more tolerant of the smaller ones being near him. One of the small ones chases the other and the agassizii chases both of the small ones (I will probably move him soon). They are not at all shy and come to the front when they see me.

Colossus

5 Year Member
Hi guys,
Has anybody experienced mouthbreeding behaviours with sp Ladislao?
Thanks.
Erik.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Has anybody experienced mouthbreeding behaviours with sp Ladislao?
I have just got mine, so they haven't spawned here yet. But the female has turned yellow, and looks massive enough to be build for mouthbrooding:
resizeimage.aspx

I'll guess you have some experiences with this species, which may indicate mouthbrooding?

Colossus

5 Year Member
Hi Tom!
I'm eager to see what they will do in your tank.
Here I got very few youngsters (7?) that stay mostly on the sand. Now when I come near the front glass, the female take some in mouth but not all.

Tom C

5 Year Member
I'm eager to see what they will do in your tank.
I'll keep you updated, Erik. Don't expect anything spectacular: in my tanks most facultative mouthbrooders behave like ordinary apistos.
I have recently had spawnings of A. sp. aff. barlowi (Oran), A. sp. D10 and A. megastoma here: no mouthbrooding at all (as far as I have observed).

Tom C

5 Year Member
I promised to keep you informed, Erik.

I have two pairs of A. sp. Ladislao (Rio Morona), in separate tanks.
One female brought out freeswimming fry the first week of October:

resizeimage.aspx

No signs of mouthbreeding at all...
She brought out her second batch of fry three weeks ago; still no mouthbreeding.
The other female showed me her newly hatched fry on December 20th:

resizeimage.aspx

Any signs of mouthbreeding? Sorry to disappoint you, Erik: Not at all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….