• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Apistogramma

Brotkeule

Hello ,

My Name is Dennis and I am new here. I am 19 years old and I am currently studying mechanical engineering in Düsseldorf.
For the past five years I was keeping some Neolamprologus Multifasciatus but more recently I got interested in keeping and breeding some south american Dwarf Cichlids (Apistogramma). This is why I decided to set up a new tank with a volume of 160l / 42gal (100x40cm). My problem is that my tapwater is relatively hard 12kh and 12dgh and slightly alkaline Ph 7,2 and a reverse Osmosis system is sadly no Option for me and I dont know if there are any Apistogramma that could breed in my tapwater.

These are the Apistogramma available for me :

A. Hongsloi

A. Borellii

A. Macmasteri

A. Trifasciata

A. Cacatuoides

A. Agassizii

My personal favorites are the macs, the trifasciata and the Borellii .

I appreciate every Kind oft help and please excuse grammar mistakes if there are any. English is not my mother tongue and was not my best school subject :)

Brotkeule

Thank you for answering my question .

But isn't the kh of 12 a problem Mike?

I thought the same , becouse I was reading that most Apistogramma besides maybe A. Cacatuoides can not fertilize their eggs if the Kh is too high, but I personally have no experience with Apistogramma...

Other than A. agassizii, any of the apistos you list should be able to reproduce in your water. A. agassizii, might also if you drop the pH <7.0. IMHO A. borellii is the best 'beginner's apisto': very adaptable to temperature, pH and hardness.

I was looking for some A. Borellii yesterday but they did not look that healthy, but I found another pet shop (?) where I can get A . Hongsloi , A . Macmasteri and A. Agassizi from . I think the most beginners friendly of them should be A. Macmasteri , I guess? ( correct me if I am wrong )

I would also keep some A. Cacatuoides but the only available color morph for me is triple red and I really do not like it becouse it looks very unnatural for me.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Even blackwater species (e.g. A. sp. Miuá) are reported to have spawned, poorly, in hard water. The trick is to lower the pH. This can be almost impossible in very hard water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….