• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RO in the Store???

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
The question has been raised as to whether we can supply RO equipment through the store. I really like Spectrapure systems (I get a new one next week!!!!!), I have had teh small 25 gallon a day unit I have been using.... I kid you not.... for ten years. I am going to get an 80 gallon per day unit from Spectrapure. Since Spectrapure is all I have ever used, I have questions about proprietary parts. Do all systems use the same size pre-filters and connectors? Can we sell Spectrapure equipment and meet the needs of everyones' systems?

I imagine that I can talk Spectrapure into providing me wih distributer pricing. Since I live ten miles from their facility I can save on shipping costs, which will keep the store's cost down, and keep the cost to forum members down.

Do you think that we need to carry full systems, or just the replacement cartridges and accessories like the automatic shutoff float valves?

Speaking of auto shutoff.. there are two systems commonly available. One system uses air pressure and a solonoid to cut the power off to the RO machine. This is great... when it is working. It tends to not be perfect. The floating shutoff valve uses a physical barrier to the inflow of RO water into the reservoir... it does not shut off the machine. There is probably a float system that operates a solonoid, but I do not have one... and I do not think Spectrapure has it (I will check though). I use both the air pressure solonoid and the floating valve simutaneously. I also have my RO reservoir with an over flow that will drain to the sink just in case neither system works for some reason.

farm41

5 Year Member
Keep it going Ted, I need an RO too.

This is for certain though, it will be after christmas this time. My wife is going to shoot me if I buy anything more that's fish related before christmas.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D
I doubt very seriously that I can get anything set up with Spectrapure until after Christmas. I am giving and grading exams all week... hell week for me.

I will probably talk to them teh end of next week.

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
continue your good work Ted.
I start looking for a replacement for my RO (25 GPD like you)
and like you mine is a spectrapure :)

so of course i will be interested by your proposition :)

i looking for a 60GPD or 80 GPD (3 or 4 tsage)

will wait you get something before buy anything.

farm41

5 Year Member
Ted,

Any news about RO units, there are some being sold on DAAH at a pretty good price. I just wanted to know your price before I do something.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based upon Spectrapure's retail price lists, a 90 gallon per day unit (RO/DI) will cost about $250. I am a firm believer in DI. The system I am using now takes tap water with an EC of 1800 down to 28, but it needs a cartridge change.

A 90 GPD Spectrapure system without the DI is about $185.

My intention is to go talk to the folks over at Spectrapure on Monday. I am going to ask them for a package deal on their RO/DI 90 GPD system including their shutoff systems. I will also ask about the same package with just RO. I will also get the price information on their component parts and accessories.

The determining factor will be how many of the units I will have to buy in order to get a good enough price to bring the systems into the store. What I hope is that they will come down low enough for us to be able to sell them through the store lower than what they are asking for on their website.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
To those of you using RO....do you notice a dramatic increase on your water bill? If I were to go with an RO unit i'd probably want a 25gpd rather than the 90.

Rich

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
Richgrenfell said:
To those of you using RO....do you notice a dramatic increase on your water bill? If I were to go with an RO unit i'd probably want a 25gpd rather than the 90.

Rich
The with RO is the waste of water .
I try to find a way to use this waste water for other thing....not easy.
- garder and grass
- washing car
- ???????

not sure i can find find that, but th RO is at my knowledgement the only one way to have the quality of water we need ..... if i am wrong ond forget other method , please speak , i will be very verry interested. :D

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Regardless of whether you make 90 gallons or 25 gallons about the same amoutn of water per gallon gets wasted (or so I have been told). I go with the higher volume so that I can fill a large reservoir quickly and then turn it off. The larger volume membranes also last longer.

Scooter

5 Year Member
Hey Rich. I use a 25 gpd unit, but my use is probably not as much as most. I use it on a 75g of which I change ~25% of the water weekly (about 18 gallons). I'm guessing I'm getting a 1:3 return on the filtered water which means I lose 54 gallons for every 18 filtered (I haven't officially tested this, but I could easily). If all my math is correct, that equates to "wasting" a little over 200 gallons of water a month. Water here is the cheapest component of my utility bill and I hardly notice the increase in cost.

jvanrompu

5 Year Member
The waste water from an RO is ideal for hard water species. Rainbows, Rift Lake cichlids etc., why waste it. You can also use it on your plants outside etc.

Also the bigger the RO unit the less waste water eg a 10 gallon unit will produce 4-1 waste water so for every ten gallons of RO you get 40 gallons of waste. My 35 Gallon per day unit it is about 50-50 so for every 35 gallons RO I get 35 gallons waste, much better to get a larger unit.
You can also buy gadgets to go on your unit that will process the waste water through the RO unit a second time again reducing water usage.

Thanks

John

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D
Great news! Spectrapure is willing to work with us. I am going to be able to get wholesale prices on all of Spectrapure's equipment. They are also going to let me order without a minimum because the owner really likes the idea of the forum building a store of its own, and he wants Spectrapure to be a part of it. I will get a price list later this week, but based upon what he told me we are going to be able to get RO units for less than the retail prices on their site. Just for comparison, a three stage 25 gpd RO retails on their site for $146. We will be able to buy it through our store for about $125.

The savings will be more considerable on the larger units. I am going to get a 90 gpd 4-stage RO/DI. Retail is $252. The store price should be about $210.

When I get the price list I will be able to be exact. If anyone needs to move fast on a unit, I plan of ordering my unit the day after I get the price list. I could have units to ship by next week. Go to their website and let me know what you want, and I will get the quote (link below).

Right now I want to run this on a pre-order basis, since I can go and pick the units up personally, and they are not holding us to a minimum order.

I hope you all are as excited about this as I am! :D :D :D

www.spectrapure.com

Scooter

5 Year Member
Hey Ted. That's awesome. If I didn't already have one, I would certainly order one. But it's great that you're going to all the trouble of getting this all set up. Kudos!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks Scooter. We are going to be able to get the cartridges and other accessories as well...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….