• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help me choose an RO filter

MacZ

I don’t believe the physical connections but all of jargon that seems to come along with it.
There's jargon for every technology. I have the same with cars. I find them truely complicated tech and I have basically no more than the basics when it comes to how it works.

Good to know about the water softener. I will have to connect the RO unit before the water softener.
Definitely the right decision!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
anewbie: I don't use a DI cartridge. I leave that unit empty. I don't need 0 µS water and feel that it is a waste of money since I would just be adding organics to it anyway. My water was good enough that for years I kept a breeding colony of cardinal tetras reproducing in it. I only change my micron & carbon filters when I see the intake pressure start to rise. Then I know the cartridges are clogging. This means once each year on average. The R/O membrane has never been changed in the 10+ years that I've used it. I'll know when it needs changing when the water conductivity rises above 40-50 µS.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Forgot to mention my tap water is already very soft.
It makes a huge difference.

We get through a lot of DI water (and consumables) at work, and the consumables are because the tap water is about 18dGh / 18 dKH and ~700 microS.

At home we have similar tap water, but I just use rain-water in the tanks. It stops me from keeping any real blackwater fish, but that is a compromise I'm willing to make.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….