• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

making the water RO with ivanacara in the tank

martink

i have ivanacara pair and they are laying eggs which are not hatching at 50ppm tds rainwater. I have a RO filter the cheap one and i was wondering how safe it is to slowly replace the tank water to pure RO and maybe some peat as well. will this kill the bacteria in my filter?

MacZ

It will not change anything. At best the TDS will go down by 20mg/l. You are already in such a low conductivity range that a two-digit shift down is not going to have any consequences.

Also in soft water it's less bacteria but rather archaea and yeasts that do the cycle in the filter (and on basically all surfaces in your tank).

MacZ

Oh and if you want to change the sourcewater to RO nonetheless: Just do it, the numbers are so close together there is no need to be as cautious as when switching from tap to RO.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….