• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Remove or leave the male

aarhud

5 Year Member
Hello,

I have a pair of Nannacara anomala in a 55g(4f) along with two large sword tails. Do you guys remove the male when they breed? I moved the male in the past, but frankly I don't have another soft water tank to move him too. I want some fry from this batch to give away.

Any guess on how long the fry will last in the above setup? I can juggle some fish around in another 3-4 weeks and get them into a fry tank if they will last that long.

Aaron

raymond82

I've had a pair of N. anomala once in a 110 liter/80 cm tank together with a pair of A. macmasteri and cory's and tetra's etc. The Nannacara's bred regularly, the female would become quite aggressive and she would especially pick on the male but I would always leave him in. I think in a tank as big as yours it should be fine, as long as there are enough hiding places and plants etc to break the line of sight.

sasikan

i have mine in 25 gallons tanks lots of hiding places (plants rocks clay pots ) but once in a wile the female caring for babys will kill the much bigger male , now i try to remove the males. also i usually have 3 or 4 small pearl gourami in there with them and they don't bother the baby Nannacara

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….