• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Quick Q....

DH247

5 Year Member
Hey, in searching out some Melgar females (of which I'm still trying to find any...:confused:) I've come across a number of fish lists with both 'Melgar' and 'Melgar jumbo'. I'm just wondering if there is a difference other than age and size of the fish. Or is it 2 different strains of the same species (I think that's the right terminology...), and if they are, considering my male is pretty large should I be narrowing my search further for just the jumbo variety... The reference book I have (South American Dwarf Cichlids) does not mention the 'Nanay / Melgar' species at all. Any thoughts would be great!! Thanks,

Cam

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I imagine they are the same fish, just different size. Which "South American Dwarf Cichlids" book do you have - DATZ or Mayland & Bork? In the DATZ book it is listed as A. sp. Nanay (A 82). The M&B book doesn't have it because it was published before the fish arrived in the hobby. Just remember, jumbo fish will be older fish.

DH247

5 Year Member
I picked up the Mayland and Bork book. I found it at a decent place in Alpharetta GA while visiting my mom. It was the first book I've come across about mainly apistos so I grabbed it. It was lightly used and had some damage so I got it a a discount :). Although I gotta say I was not overly impressed with whomever the editor was. The grammar is at some points attrocious, but the descriptions are all right and the info has proved to be beneficial. I would still like Cichlid Atlas 1, but I'll take what I can get for the time being :cool:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….