• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question About A.multiespinosa

border

5 Year Member
:wink: Fellows: Which is the water requeriments quality for A.multiespinosa?
And which is the best food for it?
Thanks on advance.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm not certain what species to which you are referring, but you probably mean Mikrogeophagus altispinosus, the Bolivian Ram. This species does well in moderately hard and slightly alkaline water, even for breeding. Feeding isn't a problem either. They accept most aquarium foods from live to flakes and pellets. Feeding a variety of foods, supplimented with more meaty foods, should bring them into a breeding mood.

lab

5 Year Member
There is also the Central American species Herotilapia multispinosa. I have seen someone refer to it as Archocentrus multispinosus.

Could that be it?

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
There is also the Central American species Herotilapia multispinosa. I have seen someone refer to it as Archocentrus multispinosus.

Could that be it?
That was my first thought as well. They are a little large to be considered true Dwarf Cichlids but they are not much different than Laetacara curviceps or L. dorsigera in temperament. A fine Cichlid not seen much any more in my area.
I was able to bring in wild caught specimens in 1969 and they became a favorite. For the life of me I don't understand why they did not replace the dreaded Convict Cichlid.

I suspect Mike is probably correct; I just wanted to give Rainbow Cichlids a plug.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….