• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus Gladicauda

Bramgroet

Hello,

Utaka (lfs) has received what's called D.Gladicauda but they are only 3cm so the extension of the top part of the anal fin is not yet visible. Besides the extension of the the top part of the anal fin I was wondering if there are any other distinct features that identify D.Gladicauda from filamentous? They are only 6 euros so good pricing. Thanks in advance.

MacZ

D. gladicauda have a purple-ish hue to them that D. filamentosus are missing. Otherwise there is no chance of distinguishing them without counting scales or dissection at that size.
As always with Dicrossus one has to get a group of such youngsters and grow them out until the sexes really show.
6 bucks is indeed less than you pay for D. filamentosus at that size at the moment. D. filamentosus go for 10 right now, my first ones some years ago went for only 5. Then Colombia put an export ban on them and the brazilian fish are much more expensive.

Bramgroet

Oke thanks, is a good group 4 specimen or is it better to have 5 so it's uneven? Are full grown specimen of D.Gladicauda more expensive as D.Filamentosus ? I assume they are.

Last edited:

MacZ

Oke thanks, is a good group 4 specimen or is it better to have 5 so it's uneven?
Depending on tank size. I tried 5 in a 80cm tank, ended up lethal for one of them, rest had to be separated at one point. I'd probably try 5 or more.
Are full grown specimen of D.Gladicauda more expensive as D.Filamentosus ? I assume they are.
Depends. Right now here in DE and NL the prices from top to bottom: 60,- for a fully grown D. maculatus or D. foirni, 35-45,- for colombian D. filamentosus, 40,- for fully grown D. gladicauda, 25,- for a brazilian D. filamentosus. D. warzeli I haven't seen in the flesh yet, let alone on any stocklists in the past 6 years.

Bramgroet

Then it is worth it probably. Since they will either be D.gladicauda or D.filamentosus Colombia.

Bramgroet

Couldn’t it be that the exporter claimed they were D.Gladicauda so that he could by pass the controls ?

Bramgroet

But then they are D.gladicauda or D.filamentosus (Rio negro) I will ask if they are from Rio Atabapo.

MacZ

That's the best you can do.

If they come from Ruinemans the ID is usually safe. Though the picture shows a D. filamentosus and the animal's proportions tel me it's at least 5cm standard length, 7-8 with the caudal fin.

Bramgroet

Utaka usually doesn’t by from Ruinemans since they are to expensive. But could be from same exporter also the ruinemans ones are also 3 cm.

MacZ

Ruinesmans is an importer and one of the three big ones in Europe, they are a good benchmark to see what's available at the moment.

Apistoguy52

Couldn’t it be that the exporter claimed they were D.Gladicauda so that he could by pass the controls ?
100% yes. Happens quite regularly in Brazil and Colombia. With non-CITES species I’ve experienced it with every SA shipment I’ve ever touched.

Bramgroet

100% yes. Happens quite regularly in Brazil and Colombia. With non-CITES species I’ve experienced it with every SA shipment I’ve ever touched.
Interesting this could cause an species to get endangered right? If they can bypass controls that easy.

Bramgroet

But talking about the fish probably the only thing I could do is buy some and grow them out. But I am not sure if I will by some. I am looking for some good apistogramma or a certain couple of C.Regani.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….