• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

[Pic] My fish room for Dwarf

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
To tell the truth, I am not a big fan of Cichlid Atlas 2. It contains a lot of confusing ideas (at least to me and many experienced hobbyists), particularly in the phylogeny, biogeography sections. Have you actually tried to use the ID-key? I suggest that you try it out on some less distinctive species. Look in past forum posts and see the responses from people who have tried to used it. It isn't easy - and I have years of experience using biological keys. Except for 1 or 2 species not distributed in the hobby, the species in CA2 are all found in the DATZ book and Koslowski's book. Uwe has given them different names, too, causing more confusion.

Cichlid Atlas 1 is a much better book, although it is a bit old (manuscript finished in late 1997). It contains valuable information on biotopes, breeding conditions and most of the more commonly availabe (commecially) dwarf cichlid species. It has some species identification errors (brevis, maciliensis, personata, among others). If you search through old posts, you will find lists of errors. Uwe's "Captive Breeding" sections areis not necessarily 'wrong' in either volume, just different from what is seen by the average hobbyist. Uwe uses very large aquariums with large colonies of the same species. Under such (probably more natural) conditions the fish behave differently than they do in pairs or trio in smaller tanks.

I use Staeck's Lexikon mostly for non-apisto South American dwarf cichlids. It has newer distribution data put together from Staeck's many trips to South America. If I had to choose between Staeck's book and CA1, I would buy CA1. Staeck's book is easier to read because it is in sort sentences/phrases (more like the DATZ book, but with more data). I recommed that you wait a few months until the 2nd printing of CA1 becomes available, probably Spring 2008.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
To tell the truth, I am not a big fan of Cichlid Atlas 2. It contains a lot of confusing ideas (at least to me and many experienced hobbyists), particularly in the phylogeny, biogeography sections. Have you actually tried to use the ID-key? I suggest that you try it out on some less distinctive species. Look in past forum posts and see the responses from people who have tried to used it. It isn't easy - and I have years of experience using biological keys. Except for 1 or 2 species not distributed in the hobby, the species in CA2 are all found in the DATZ book and Koslowski's book. Uwe has given them different names, too, causing more confusion.

Cichlid Atlas 1 is a much better book, although it is a bit old (manuscript finished in late 1997). It contains valuable information on biotopes, breeding conditions and most of the more commonly availabe (commecially) dwarf cichlid species. It has some species identification errors (brevis, maciliensis, personata, among others). If you search through old posts, you will find lists of errors. Uwe's "Captive Breeding" sections areis not necessarily 'wrong' in either volume, just different from what is seen by the average hobbyist. Uwe uses very large aquariums with large colonies of the same species. Under such (probably more natural) conditions the fish behave differently than they do in pairs or trio in smaller tanks.

I use Staeck's Lexikon mostly for non-apisto South American dwarf cichlids. It has newer distribution data put together from Staeck's many trips to South America. If I had to choose between Staeck's book and CA1, I would buy CA1. Staeck's book is easier to read because it is in sort sentences/phrases (more like the DATZ book, but with more data). I recommed that you wait a few months until the 2nd printing of CA1 becomes available, probably Spring 2008.

peterK

5 Year Member
Mike, thank you for the ionformative post. My third Apisto book will be Koslowki's Apistogramma & Co. Only after that I would try to buy CA1, but... I worry about planned amount of CA1 copies...:frown: There is sooo many interested aquarists that I think the Polish part of copies will be sold within few months..
Yes I have tried to use ID-Key. When I used it to 'ID' :wink: my A. panduro it was relatively easy, but I think if I should use it for very unclear coloured and strange shaped specimen it could be very hard...

awth

5 Year Member
I am just very excited in having them, too excited that I just wanna share with everyone, this is a bit off topic, but I hope the moderator wouldn't mind. :tongue:

L4620080128003.jpg

L4620080128004.jpg

L4620080128005.jpg

L4620080128007.jpg

L4620080128008.jpg

L4620080128015.jpg

L4620080128016.jpg

L4620080128022.jpg

L4620080128023.jpg

L4620080128025.jpg

georgedv

5 Year Member
Is there any truth, confirmation, or set date for the re-release of CA1. I read somewhere that the publisher is going to print it again.

The reason i ask is to see if this is true and how soon. Otherwise I will concentrate on buying a used one.

thanks

g

awth

5 Year Member
I hope Mr. and Mrs. Moderator wouldn't mind about my pic on the L46, I promise I will share more of my Apisto pic very shortly. :tongue:

Some more pic, since I got 5pcs more on last weekend.
The new resident are still hidding, except the one with thin black stripe. It's pics are over-exposed, since it's white is more bright than than the rest. I may need to try another camera setting when I have time.

Still no luck in breeding them, but I will be patient. :D

l46_20080729_002_231.jpg

l46_20080729_006_164.jpg

l46_20080729_008_193.jpg

l46_20080729_009_980.jpg

l46_20080729_011_902.jpg

l46_20080729_013_502.jpg

l46_20080729_016_717.jpg

l46_20080729_019_214.jpg

l46_20080729_022_167.jpg

l46_20080729_024_159.jpg

l46_20080729_026_199.jpg

awth

5 Year Member
Update.....

I sold the baby tanks and Ranchu (Goldfish) tanks and change to a 36" X 14" X14", running with an Eheim 2215.

fish_rack_20080915_002_208.jpg

Change the CRS tank into another Adoketa tank

fish_rack_20080915_003_195.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….