• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

[Pic] My fish room for Dwarf

awth

5 Year Member
Hmm.. interesting arguments.

I am a sound hater as well. But i don't want to invest in so many power filters.

How many watts are your heaters?

And about dorsals, are you sure about this? Never heard or read this anywhere..

Thanks for your answers :)

My heaters are 50W.

re: dorsal - yes I am sure, also confirmed by my friends too.

awth

5 Year Member
Update:

View at door:
fish_rack_20071218_02_148.jpg

Full view again:
fish_rack_20071218_01_191.jpg

Ruki

5 Year Member
only 15 tanks :frown: too few tanks, too much nice Apisto~!
Oh, only 15 tanks. :) Yea, there are too much nice apisto. :biggrin:
P.S.
I've problems with 6th tank(my family don't give my permission). :frown: But only few years and I'll have my own home. :biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My dwarf cichlid library takes up 6 ft/180 cm of shelf space. That doesn't include the 6 x 12'/180 x 360 cm book shelf jammed with other aquarium literature. My philosophy: Books are forever & you can't have too many!

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
My dwarf cichlid library takes up 6 ft/180 cm of shelf space. That doesn't include the 6 x 12'/180 x 360 cm book shelf jammed with other aquarium literature. My philosophy: Books are forever & you can't have too many!

HERE HERE!

I have 3 large bookshelves (6' x 4') full of aquarium books. I've never checked to see how much of it is dwarf cichlid only. Hmmm, I guess I have only 7 books totally dwarf cichlid related.

Complete Book of Dwarf Cichlids
Hans-Joachim Richter
TFH 1989

Aqualog Extra: The Latest Apistogramma
Dieter Bork
Verlag: A.C.S. GmbH 2005

Aqualog: Southamerican Cichlids II
Ulrich Glaser sen & Wolfgang Glaser
Verlag: A.C.S. GmbH 1996

South American Dwarf Cichlids
Hans J. Mayland & Dieter Bork
Verlag A.C.S. GmbH 1997

American Cichlids I - Dwarf Cichlids
Horst Linke and Dr. Wolfgang Staeck
Tetrapress 1994

Dwarf Cichlids
Dr. Jörge Vierke
TFH 1988

Dwarf Cichlids: Keeping & Breeding Them in Captivity
David E. Boruchowitz
TFH

I do have lots of cichlid books though. (Heck I have as many books in German that I can't read as I do for dwarf cichlids. :rolleyes: ) :)

awth

5 Year Member

I agree, however I don't know which ones are good, and more importantly, I don't have that much spaces :frown:

awth

5 Year Member
HERE HERE!

I have 3 large bookshelves (6' x 4') full of aquarium books. I've never checked to see how much of it is dwarf cichlid only. Hmmm, I guess I have only 7 books totally dwarf cichlid related.

Complete Book of Dwarf Cichlids
Hans-Joachim Richter
TFH 1989

Aqualog Extra: The Latest Apistogramma
Dieter Bork
Verlag: A.C.S. GmbH 2005

Aqualog: Southamerican Cichlids II
Ulrich Glaser sen & Wolfgang Glaser
Verlag: A.C.S. GmbH 1996

South American Dwarf Cichlids
Hans J. Mayland & Dieter Bork
Verlag A.C.S. GmbH 1997

American Cichlids I - Dwarf Cichlids
Horst Linke and Dr. Wolfgang Staeck
Tetrapress 1994

Dwarf Cichlids
Dr. Jörge Vierke
TFH 1988

Dwarf Cichlids: Keeping & Breeding Them in Captivity
David E. Boruchowitz
TFH

I do have lots of cichlid books though. (Heck I have as many books in German that I can't read as I do for dwarf cichlids. :rolleyes: ) :)

I envy you guys that you can get access to these book so easliy

awth

5 Year Member
Oh, only 15 tanks. :) Yea, there are too much nice apisto. :biggrin:
P.S.
I've problems with 6th tank(my family don't give my permission). :frown: But only few years and I'll have my own home. :biggrin:

Congradulation on your new home :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The best books on dc's are from foreign publishers (non-English speaking countries). For us English readers they can be hard to find, but are available. Currently my top dozen favorites are (in order of use):

1. "Die Buntbarsche Americas: Band 2 - Apistogramma & Co." (Koslowski 2002). In German; English translation available.

2. "South American Dwarf Cichlids" (DATZ book; R. Stawikowski, ed.). In a German/English edition.

3. "Die Buntbarsche Americas: Band 3 - Erdfresser, Hecht- und Kammbuntbarsch (Stawikowski & Werner, 2004) (Dwarf pikes, checkerboards and other non-cichlasomine dwarfs not in Koslowski, among others). In German; English translation of dwarf pike section available.

4. "Cichliden Lexikon: Teil 3 - Südamerikanishe Zwergbuntbarsche" (Staeck, 2003). In German.

5. "Cichlid Atlas 1" (Römer, 2000). In both German & English editions (English edition presently out-of-print).

6. "Die Buntbarsche Americas: Band 1 (Stawikowski & Werner, 1998) (Laetacara, Nannacara & other heorine & cichlasomine species). In German.

7. "South American Dwarf Cichlid" (exquisite photos!) (Yamazaki, et al., 1996). In Japanese.

8. "The Cichlid Fishes of Western Africa" (Lomboj, undated but 1st published in 2005). If you keep small West African cichlids, this book would be #3 on my list. It's exceptional! I English & German editions.

9. "The Cichlid Fishes of the Amazon River Drainage of Peru". (Kullander, 1986). In English.

10. "A Taxonomical Study of the Genus Apistogramma Regan, with a Revision of Brazilian and Peruvian Species (Teleostei: Percoidei: Cichlidae). (Kullander, 1980). In English.

11. "Aqualog Extra: The Latest Apistogramma" (Bork, 2005). In a German/English edition.

12. "The Cichlids of Surinam". (Kullander & Nijssen, 1989). In English.

Since I have been interested in dwarf cichlids for over 30 years, I've compiled an amazingly (at least to me) large library of books and magazine articles - I lost count somewhere around 800!

peterK

5 Year Member
2. "South American Dwarf Cichlids" (DATZ book; R. Stawikowski, ed.). In a German/English edition.
Hmmm someone in red cap and red coat put this book under my Christmas Tree today...:biggrin:
I have to say that pictures of Apistos there are awesome... especially in comparison to CA2...
I only would like to see the pic of pair B. opercularis w/ their fry in the wild (p. 111) - that photo is absolutely too small:)

awth

5 Year Member
Hi, Mike, out of those you listed, I have these (in order of use):

5. "Cichlid Atlas 1" (Römer, 2000). In both German & English editions (English edition presently out-of-print).

1. "Die Buntbarsche Americas: Band 2 - Apistogramma & Co." (Koslowski 2002). In German; English translation available.

800 books :eek: :eek:

Pete: Where is that "someone in red cap and red coat " went after your place? Too far for him to travel to HK? :tongue:

To all: I wish you a Happy New Year, may all your dream collections come true! .......... regards, Alan.

Ruki

5 Year Member
Pete: Where is that "someone in red cap and red coat " went after your place? Too far for him to travel to HK? :tongue:
Don't worry! I live "quite" near to Pete and that "someone in red cap and red coat" lost in his way to me also. :eek: I wasn't so bad in this year. :wink:

When I finish all tanks in my shelf(I need only lights and covers :) ) I'll buy some books about apisto(I don't have any! :frown: ). :biggrin:

peterK

5 Year Member
Hi, Mike, out of those you listed, I have these (in order of use):

800 books :eek: :eek:

To all: I wish you a Happy New Year, may all your dream collections come true! .......... regards, Alan.
HAHA, he was in my house for so short time I even couldn't say him 'Hello':biggrin:

Now I have only CA2 and DATZ book but in my opinion DATZ will be much more helpful for me. In the summer (like Ruki, after I finish my fish-rack's tanks) Im going to buy Koslowski's book. Then I wonder if I would need CA1?
Last Roemer's book is awesome, I love the ID-key and systematics chapters. But the most important thing - 'Captive biology' of species described in that book shows that some species like A. sp. Mouthbrooder [Brustband-Apistogramma] need extremely water conditions and are very hard to breed, which is not true. Mike, are in the first Cichid Atlas similar mistakes/obsolete info?
And, what could you say about
4. "Cichliden Lexikon: Teil 3 - Südamerikanishe Zwergbuntbarsche" (Staeck, 2003). In German ?
My German is not very good but I wonder what is better choice: CA1 or that book? I would love to buy one of them, but this is veeery far 'investment'...:wink: Which one is written in more 'accessible' language (as I don't know German very good...).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….