• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

[Pic] My fish room for Dwarf

awth

5 Year Member
[Pic] My fish room for Dwarf (Pic update @ 6/5)

Have been doing it little by little for 2-3months, finally, it is done to my expectation. Shame that spaces in Hong Kong is pricy , to you guys, this may be only be a joke! But what the hack, let's have a look at what a fish room would look like in Hong Kong! :)

img_0025_____154.jpg

beleg

5 Year Member
Looks very beautiful. I have similar plans for myself. I have limited space and will make a fish rack.

Whats the dimension of your pair tanks? Those larger tanks are for other species? How will you grow out any fry?

Thx

awth

5 Year Member
peterK: Sure! Here are the specs.

The Rack:
Top Row: 8.5"L X 14"W X14"H with independant DAZS 100 filter
From Left to Right:
A.bitaeniatas Tefe / A.bitaeniatas Tefe / Vacant / A. Elizabethae / A. Elizabethae / A.bitaeniatas Tefe

Mid Row: 25"L X 18" W X 14" H with Tetra EX90 X1 / Tetra EX120 X2
From Left to Right: I. Adoketa / Crystal Red Shrimp

Bottom Row: ADA 14" tanks with independant DAZS 100 filter
From Left to Right: Cleaning Troops / A. Diplotaenia / A. Nijsseni

On the window sill: ADA 24" tanks with independant DAZS 100 filter
From Left to Right: Vacant / A.bitaeniatas Brazil

Beleg: The vacant ADA 24" are for fry, and I have 2 spare ADA 12" square on hand just in case. :wink:

valice: Sorry, no A.agassiziis :)

peterK

5 Year Member
Thx much for the specs, awth. I have a shelf for tanks (each layer 100x60 cm) and I'm going to buy some tanks for that shelf this year. And, I too, will add more tanks in the future (reason: cash:frown: ). Now I have only one 175L tank, so I have no chances to develop my hobby:)
BTW, awth, could add here some pics of your tanks? Like blueblue did, when he showed us his tankshleves.

Piotr>>>

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Fish room Very Nice

The neatness and matching tanks in your fishroom makes the hodgepodge of assorted tanks makes mine look pretty bad

updatedfr002.jpg

updatedfr003.jpg

updatedfr004.jpg

awth

5 Year Member
cool.. :)
your water level so high.. does not need a cover?

The only tank I have a cover is the one on the left in the 2nd row for I.Adoketa. The other ones, I never use a cover and I have no experience with jumping fish, I believe they enjoy staying under the ideal water! :biggrin:

awth

5 Year Member
Thx much for the specs, awth. I have a shelf for tanks (each layer 100x60 cm) and I'm going to buy some tanks for that shelf this year. And, I too, will add more tanks in the future (reason: cash:frown: ). Now I have only one 175L tank, so I have no chances to develop my hobby:)
BTW, awth, could add here some pics of your tanks? Like blueblue did, when he showed us his tankshleves.

Piotr>>>

Sure, I will take some more pics of my tanks, but I am afraid that I have to do it over the weekend. :)

awth

5 Year Member
The neatness and matching tanks in your fishroom makes the hodgepodge of assorted tanks makes mine look pretty bad

I can see there are lots of potential for expansion! By doing so, you can rearrange those tubes, pipes, wires, cords.... etc..... :wink:

peterK

5 Year Member
Awth,
Do you use ADA Amazonia? If yes, do you have any problems with this type of substrate? And, blueblue told me that he changes Amazonia in his tanks every 3 months.
This type of ADA Substrate is very interesting to me. But blue's method (changing every 3 mths) will be very expensive to me - the 9L bag of Amazonia costs ca. $45. Once I can pay $45, but every 3 months - not.
I'd like to hear your opinion.

Piotr>>>

awth

5 Year Member
Awth,
Do you use ADA Amazonia? If yes, do you have any problems with this type of substrate? And, blueblue told me that he changes Amazonia in his tanks every 3 months.
This type of ADA Substrate is very interesting to me. But blue's method (changing every 3 mths) will be very expensive to me - the 9L bag of Amazonia costs ca. $45. Once I can pay $45, but every 3 months - not.
I'd like to hear your opinion.

Piotr>>>

ADA Amazonia is very common in Hong Kong, 9L cost about HK$90 (about US$11.5), price drop due to ADA annouced that Amazonia II will soon be released, due to the fact that Amazonia soil does make the water yellowish for weeks!!!

As far as I know, Blueblue used mostly ADA African not Amazonia, I am not 100% sure though, but do check out his pics. Anyway, I do use 2/3Amazonia mix with 1/3 African for some of my tanks. But due to the yellowish problem, I am graduatly changing to another Japanese brand soil which is more commonly use for Red Cystral Shrimp, it also keeps ph at about 6.X. But they are like 5 times more expensive than ADA. And N cycles seems to develop sooner than ADA, due to the fact that ADA release high level of No2 and No3 at the beginning stage (2-3weeks).

If you are asking my opinion and given the fact that I don't know what other soil you have acquire in your country, I have to say, the focus point is acid water, as long as you can manage to keep the water acid, then it really doesn't matter what kind of soil you use. I will go for the more affordable one! However, if you do have extra bucks, give ADA a try!

peterK

5 Year Member
Unfortunately, only ADA is the only availeble Japanese soil in Poland. Blue told me too, that Amazonia makes water yellow. I hope that ADAmano will do something with this deffect:frown: I'm not interesting in keeping plants in my future Apisto-tanks, but lowing pH and clearing water are the most important things in these substrates, as I'm fish, not plant keeper:)

Thanks for the reply,
Piotr>>>

peterK

5 Year Member
Hi again
Awth, one more question:
Does Malaya Soil low pH and clear water in the aquarium? Or it is only Amazonia's feature?

Piotr>>>

awth

5 Year Member
Hi again
Awth, one more question:
Does Malaya Soil low pH and clear water in the aquarium? Or it is only Amazonia's feature?

Piotr>>>

Sorry, Pete, I have no experience with Malaya, but only Amazonia and Africana. According to my experience Amazonia lower PH and soften water the most, to about 6.X and somtimes 5.X (production inconsistence!!!) and Africana lower to about 6.X.

I hope it may help you in your decision, per ADA's catalog:

Aqua Soil - Amazonia:
Corrosion acid abundant in natural black colour promotes growth of aquatic plants. Organic element inside the soil helps aquatic plant grow well, and also have an effect of lowevering PH and Hardness of the water.

Aqua Soil - Malaya
Yellow colour tone Malaya creastes an aquascape of natural atmosphere. Its soft granules is suitable for the aquarium layout for maintaining for a long period.

Aqua Soil - Africanna
Red baked soil creates the image of tropical rain forest. Granule is relaively hard, and it is easy to handle, compared to Amazonia and Malaya. As organic element is low compared to Amazonia and Malaya, plants grow slowly in Africana soil.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….