• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

[Pic] My fish room for Dwarf

awth

5 Year Member
Pete, here you go!

Top left:
fish_rack_20071218_05_147.jpg

Top right:
fish_rack_20071218_06_214.jpg

Mid Left:
fish_rack_20071218_04_206.jpg

awth

5 Year Member
Mid Right:
fish_rack_20071218_07_554.jpg

Bottom Left: L46 tank, these goldfish are only temporary resident
l46_20071229_001_183.jpg

Window Sill:
fish_rack_20071218_08_171.jpg

fish_rack_20071218_09_152.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Sorry, Pete, I have no experience with Malaya, but only Amazonia and Africana. According to my experience Amazonia lower PH and soften water the most, to about 6.X and somtimes 5.X (production inconsistence!!!) and Africana lower to about 6.X.
Thanks, your reply will help me. I have to think what type of substrate I will use in my tanks. Maybe it will be ADA, or usual, white sand used by many Europeans aquarists... :biggrin:

Piotr>>>

peterK

5 Year Member
Pete, here you go!
Oh WOW, your tanks are really nice! Mine won't be so nice. I like that they look cleanly (I think they are clean^.^) and they are very good furnished. Thanks for sharing.:wink:

Piotr>>>

P.S. Tell me please, what water parameters do you have in your tanks? And the small bags in each tanks contains ketapang or peat?

awth

5 Year Member
PH about 4.8 - 5.X, depends on which breed of Dwarfs, I use Amtra Oak Bark Extract and Sera Peat Extract. Kh undetectable, GH never tested, temp about 25-27, NH4 = 0, NO2 = 0, NO3 < 5ml. All using Sera test kits. PH4.8 is as low as I limited myself to, however, for my pair of I. Adoketa, the parents failed to breed the eggs 3 in a row, I may try to lowering the PH by a little more to try. I don't know yet, will see!

Let me tell you a bad news, after I change water today, I poisoned the Ap. Dipoltaenia by mistakenly 2X dosage of Oak Bark Extract, the ph was then tested at 3.2 :eek: !!! Sigh~~ I love that pair, I have searched for a really long time for them!!!!! What a stupid mistake!!! :frown: X 10000 millionssssssssss

The little bags are Sera / Eheim peat wrapped in tea bags, I change them every month.

Thank you for your compliment! hehehe...... The last time, I clean my tanks glasses were 3 weeks ago!!! Remember?? I have a tank of cleaning troops!?? What do you think they are for!?? :biggrin:

peterK

5 Year Member
Hi
Blueblue told me, that in the HK you have relatively low pH, kH, gH in tap water.
So, you don't have to use RO filter?
Sera peat extract is made by you extract of SERA Peat Granules or something similar?

Piotr>>>

P.S.I'm very sorry about your Diplo pair...:frown:

beleg

5 Year Member
The little bags are Sera / Eheim peat wrapped in tea bags, I change them every month.

Thank you for your compliment! hehehe...... The last time, I clean my tanks glasses were 3 weeks ago!!! Remember?? I have a tank of cleaning troops!?? What do you think they are for!?? :biggrin:

Very neat tanks... Cleaning troops ? are they dwarf plecos? My agassizi male killed 2 otos and 1 dwarf pleco so far :( .. How do you keep them alive?

awth

5 Year Member
Hi
Blueblue told me, that in the HK you have relatively low pH, kH, gH in tap water.
So, you don't have to use RO filter?
Sera peat extract is made by you extract of SERA Peat Granules or something similar?

Piotr>>>

P.S.I'm very sorry about your Diplo pair...:frown:

The tap water parameter vary from different building. Mine: ph 7.2, kH 1, gH 1. My parents: ph 6.9, kH 1, gH1. (my place and my parents are just the next block!! This may due to the pipes) Some of my other friends, ph 8.X.

I don't have a RO filter but just a regular filter like the one shown on previous page which filter Chlorine ad heavy metal. Some of my friend even use direct tap water by adding chemical to remove Chlorine ad heavy metal, they also manage to breed them!

Sera Peat Extract is a commercial product of SERA.

awth

5 Year Member
Very neat tanks... Cleaning troops ? are they dwarf plecos? My agassizi male killed 2 otos and 1 dwarf pleco so far :( .. How do you keep them alive?

Cleaning troops are refer to large size snails and shrimps that the dwarfs don't see them as food! :)

awth

5 Year Member
Ah cool. I was planning to use Apple snails as cleaners in my apisto tanks..

Apple snails' breeding ability is amazing!!! However, they become fragile with strong acid water, below 5.5! But on the bright side, you will have many apple snails for replacment!

beleg

5 Year Member
Yes i know. They start to loose their shells pretty quick. One way to cure this is to have a spare tank in which you will put the snails for 15 days or so to recover. Squid bone is a good source of calcium for snails shells.

awth

5 Year Member
Yes i know. They start to loose their shells pretty quick. One way to cure this is to have a spare tank in which you will put the snails for 15 days or so to recover. Squid bone is a good source of calcium for snails shells.

Exactly!!!! :) this is what I am doing for the moment!

yorky

5 Year Member
Nice!

hi awth, very well-maintained tanks, I like it very much.

I want to do the same setup as yours if I can.

By the way, I was observing your top row tanks.
Are you only using a sponge filter for each tank?
I see a sponge filter but with a rain bar?
Interesting..

awth

5 Year Member
hi awth, very well-maintained tanks, I like it very much.

I want to do the same setup as yours if I can.

By the way, I was observing your top row tanks.
Are you only using a sponge filter for each tank?
I see a sponge filter but with a rain bar?
Interesting..

I am only answering you if you promise to post your rack pic after you finish, do we have a deal!? :biggrin:

For all the small tanks, I am using individual a small external filter, Dazs 100, made in China, which claims that it has max. 300L/H flow. However, after tests from friends, I am convinced that it has only 14XL/H flow, which I believe it is suitable for dwarfs. However, I do drill extra holes on the rain bar to minimize the water current, if I found it too strong. The sponge are added as a prevention for sucking up fry! :)

yorky

5 Year Member
I am only answering you if you promise to post your rack pic after you finish, do we have a deal!? :biggrin:

For all the small tanks, I am using individual a small external filter, Dazs 100, made in China, which claims that it has max. 300L/H flow. However, after tests from friends, I am convinced that it has only 14XL/H flow, which I believe it is suitable for dwarfs. However, I do drill extra holes on the rain bar to minimize the water current, if I found it too strong. The sponge are added as a prevention for sucking up fry! :)

Ok we have a deal.
Give me a few months time as I am settling my apartment move.
Then I can do up my Apistos rack too.

Also, I noticed that you build pretty tall tanks relative to the width.
Its a silly question.
Do you think tanks' height can produce higher dorsal? hehe..
I prefer the dimensions of the lower tank as it looks prettier.

beleg

5 Year Member
I see that you have Java Fern and Anubias but not many moss.. Isn't Java moss good for fry in the first days?

Any why not sponge filter but hang filter? Any specific reasons?

awth

5 Year Member
Ok we have a deal.
Give me a few months time as I am settling my apartment move.
Then I can do up my Apistos rack too.

Also, I noticed that you build pretty tall tanks relative to the width.
Its a silly question.
Do you think tanks' height can produce higher dorsal? hehe..
I prefer the dimensions of the lower tank as it looks prettier.

Sure, I look forward for your pics! :biggrin:
YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS, tanks' height (= water pressure) can definitely produce higher dorsal!!!! Please see my example: http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=6318
This eliza was keep in a tank with 14" height, compare to my other 1, which is keep in only 10", there is a hugh difference in the dorsal!!!

awth

5 Year Member
I see that you have Java Fern and Anubias but not many moss.. Isn't Java moss good for fry in the first days?

Any why not sponge filter but hang filter? Any specific reasons?

Re: Moss
Yes, moss is good for fry, but I don't like it since it looks dirty to me, look at the tank on the left on the window sill, no moss but babies just hatch, today is the 3rd day. There are about 20-30 of them!

Re: External filter
I have extremely sensitive ears, I can't even tolorate traditional clocks, the tic tic sound...... it just makes me crazy! Too much work pressure!!! :biggrin: I understand Dwarfs perfer slower current, that's why I drill holes on the rain pipe to achieve that! :biggrin: They seems fine with it! Besides, I believe filters can easliy out-perform sponge filters for better water condition!

beleg

5 Year Member
Hmm.. interesting arguments.

I am a sound hater as well. But i don't want to invest in so many power filters.

How many watts are your heaters?

And about dorsals, are you sure about this? Never heard or read this anywhere..

Thanks for your answers :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….