• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis taeniata mosleri

Woody

5 Year Member
Hey Everyone

I came across a species of Pelvicachromis from a source that I import a lot of wild fish from, they are reputable and very knowledgable.
It is Pelvicachromis taeniata mosleri, when I googled it only a couple of websites came up, one of a photograph.

http://www.aqleader.com.my/descript...&Product_name=Pelvicachromis taeniata mosleri

Can anyone identify it? Is it a new species I never heard of before, Next import coming in I am going to bring some into Canada.

Any suggestions?

Woody

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Woody,
The picture you linked to is an exact stolen copy of P. t. "Muyuka" featured in Linke and Staeck's West African Cichlid book on page 163! It's a great looking fish, if that's what it really is.

Jeff

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
That picture is lifted from the Linke/Steak book African Cchlids 1: Cichlids From West Africa where it is found on page 163 and labled Pel. taen. 'Muyuka'.

'Mosleri' is not one that I have heard of, but that does not mean it does not exist. I would be skepticle of anyone taking published images and renaming them though.

mybirdshit

5 Year Member
I wish I could apologise on behalf of my countrymen but that is not possible.:frown:

Some shops and hobbyist from my country seem to have a habit of not knowing the proper names of a lot of species of fish they sell, sometimes making names up in the process.:mad: Sometimes even when confronted they will not relent on what they believe it is.

froo

5 Year Member
Dont be sorry, maybe blame the exporter. I think they sometimes sell "made up" species/locations of already knows fishes, just to make some more money.

Maybe even the shops shows the most simular picture of a fish they dont have a picture of.

But as said, be skepticle and try to seek more info from the importer/exporter. Some day we will find something new like Pelv. sp "Bluefin". Here in Sweden Bluefin was imported as "Golden" the same name P pulcher albinos was named in some shops.

Good luck with the new fish - what they are called they are all fish.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Woody,

I just read your original post more carefully. The exporter is using the name 'mosleri' but the web site you found the images on is not the same company? Where is the exporter located? That might help narrow it down a bit.

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis taeniatus

I wonder if the folks at Tetra-Press know that their published photos of Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Nigeria-Red" and P. taeniatus "Muyuka" are posted on a website with the erroneous label, "Pelvicachromis taeniata (sic) mosleri?"

Randall Kohn

Woody

5 Year Member
Malaysia

Hi Ted

The exporter is out of Malaysia. I deal with him because he has some beautiful botias, barbs and danios right out of Mylannar (sp). When I was
going through his pricelist I came across the name and when I goggled it only two websites came up.
And then when I checked the species on the website they match up with his pricelist. I usually never check out the dwarf cichlid section on those pricelist because they charge wholesale usually what we pay retail for those species of fish, but this one just stood out for me.

Woody

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….