• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nannochromis Transvestitus

nicos apistos

5 Year Member
Hi-
I bought a pair of Nannochromis Tranvestitus yesterday and was wondering their spawning habits. They are a very nervy fish as I have them in a community tank but was thinking about breeding them. Just wanted some info and tips on how to keep and breed them.
P.S What a creative name!:rolleyes:

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Do you know if they are wild caught or tank raised fish?

If they are wild caught I'll need to get the pH down into the low 6's (mid to low 5's would be even better). Tank raised fish SHOULD spawn in water with a pH in the mid 6's.

The pair will need a few caves and other structure in the tank to hid in and to pick for spawning. These guys are also known for being pretty aggressive with each other so having some other fish in the tank will help so the aggression can get aimed else were.

And the name comes from the fact that the female has more color thn the male...which is sort of the reverse of many cichlids (think Rift Lake).

nicos apistos

5 Year Member
Ph

Good I have them in my community tank, with 4 caves, almond leaves , plants, and co2. I have trifasciata and EBR in their with tatras and plecos. They seem to be nervy but they come out to eat. I think they are tank raised. no signs of aggresion. Thanks alot.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
no signs of aggresion.

There will be! This will be a species I will definitely try again when I have a big enough softwater tank again as they were brilliant but my male just killed the female one day. Not a lot of aggression seen before, just a dead female one day and the male still trying to beat seven bells out her!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….