• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma lineata info?

anewbie

Is much known about a. lineata? Are they true blackwater (I presume so but maybe not?); are they aggressive or more passive species? I know someone in the uk kept them in a large community aquarium with success (with geo et all) and they bred constantly; i dont' want them for a community tank but rather a 20 long but want something more passive that i can grow otu some very small c. hastatus. Probably a lousy idea but who knows.
-
This was the only info i could find:

Which indicates very hot water fish (83-85) and blackwater but not much else was said.

MacZ

No 1 research tools:

Fishbase:

South American water parameters:

Tom C's Apistogramma Homepage:

And the original species description:

That should offer enough information. Also use deduction. There is more to that article you linked than what you wrote here. It also says flooded forest area, so that tells a bit more about the habitat, e.g. you'll need lots of leaf litter.
The numbers in that article are extreme values from the dry season. As soft water as possible (conductivity under 50µS/cm) is a good start, temperatures around 26-27°C are definitely sufficient. You don't have to recreate the numbers.

i dont' want them for a community tank but rather a 20 long but want something more passive that i can grow otu some very small c. hastatus
That is automatically a community tank. Grow out the Corydoras, then get the Apistogramma.
Do you want to breed the A. lineata?

anewbie

No 1 research tools:

Fishbase:

South American water parameters:

Tom C's Apistogramma Homepage:

And the original species description:

That should offer enough information. Also use deduction. There is more to that article you linked than what you wrote here. It also says flooded forest area, so that tells a bit more about the habitat, e.g. you'll need lots of leaf litter.
The numbers in that article are extreme values from the dry season. As soft water as possible (conductivity under 50µS/cm) is a good start, temperatures around 26-27°C are definitely sufficient. You don't have to recreate the numbers.

That is automatically a community tank. Grow out the Corydoras, then get the Apistogramma.
Do you want to breed the A. lineata?
Believe it or not i'm having a hard time deciphering the information you provided which i looked at before making my post. For example I can't find the location in the map; just because they are found in blackwater doesn't mean they require blackwater (though most species do better in such); 80f might be sufficient but would 84 full time be ok?
--
with the cory my plan is to remove the c. hastatus after they get larger; the real question is the species docile enough they can co-mingle. Some apisto are quite aggressive - my wc cockatoo will kill anything that walks into their territory (which is ok i guess since i have them with a bunch of very old (genetically) inbred guppies that are rather deformed anyways).
-
Anyway a bit depends on the temp the c. hastatus should probably be kept around 78 with 84 being way too warm - still if 84 is good for a. lineta i could put them with the discus.
--
ok looking on another map that shows it is near the corner of venz/brazil/columbia; i found the river temp is 28-30c which is 83-86.

Last edited:

MacZ

For example I can't find the location in the map
Colombian/Brazilian Border, right next to Inírida. The parameter map has at least 5 values for the Atabapo. All say blackwater, no matter what season. The only value really changing is temp, between 26 and 31°C. Just use google maps in another tab and search Rio Atabapo, then you'll find it.

with the cory my plan is to remove the c. hastatus after they get larger; the real question is the species docile enough they can co-mingle. Some apisto are quite aggressive - my wc cockatoo will kill anything that walks into their territory (which is ok i guess since i have them with a bunch of very old (genetically) inbred guppies that are rather deformed anyways).
I have seen every dwarf cichlid at least showing some aggression towards other fish, especially around their main feeding area. Can't say anything about A. lineata, though.

And about the temperature... After looking up some things about the Corydoras and looking at the map I'd just do 25°C, but that's more of a foul compromise. You wanna play it safe, don't try the combination.

anewbie

Just treat A. lineata like you would A. uaupesi or A. iniridae and you should be fine.
cept that i never kept any of those species - glasser sez 78 to 86 for inirdae
bob website sez 76-80 but indicates ph 3.5 was required to spawn them ouch. hum will did i keep that bottle of acid.
bob has a nice write up on uaupesi but doesn't list temp but sounds similar to lineta but more docile.
-
Ok that was informative - a lot more info on those two species. Not sure i'll get the ph below 5.5 but i we will see.

anewbie

pH 5.5 should work if everything else is correct.
Well what i can say is they don't turn yellow like other species; should probably hatch some bbs soon:
lmom.jpg

I don't think this is a pair forming species but i can say that after the first week they are much more calm (m/f behavior) with very little aggression by the male. This is very different than my winkelfleck where he will go searching the entire 29 looking for the female to yell at.
-
Didn't even realize she had actually laid eggs until she brought the spawn out. The only hint was her retrieval after morning feeding but it was only marginally subtle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….