• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male Cac very dark

strohl71

5 Year Member
Hello out there -

I just wanted some opinions on my male cac. I know that apistos can change color shades depending on their mood. I have seen my male double red cac go from very light to very dark but he usually stayed somewhere in between. However, for the last few weeks he has gone very dark and stayed that way. He seems to be behaving and eating normally. Any reason for concern?

GSRACER

5 Year Member
Has here been any new fish intoduced to the tank? Are there any other fish in the tank that are spawning and are picking on him? It seems that there is somthing in the tank that is stressing the fish out, id check the levels. Also have you done anything diffrent in your feeding schedule or lighting or temp.? If all this seems normal and the same i wouldnt worry to much about the little guy he might just be going though a phase :)

strohl71

5 Year Member
Water quality and temp are fine. No new fish have been introduced. My pair of aggies have spawned several times in the last 6 monthes (they munch the eggs after the first day or so) but they do not pick on anybody too bad. All the other fish in the aquarium are looking and acting fine. I guess I will not worry about the male cac too much since, aside from his very dark color) is eating and behaving normally. Thanks for the input!

fishgeek

pH if the aggies are spawning the pH maybe lower than he likes
or they maybe are more territorial in defending their spawning site so the lone male is showing no threatening/subordinate colouring

andrew

chapman76

5 Year Member
That has happened to one of my A. Nijsseni females. She is always more dark and she hide in the back. The other 2 females are more dominant and are eager to breed however my male died about 2 months ago and no one has male nijsseni anywhere so I'm waiting on Ken Davis, Ray, or Neil to some in soon. I figure once the males gets in there it might help. If It doesn't I'll be forced to give her to someone else. She's a beautiful F0 too, but I'll do what's best for her.

GSRACER

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about the F0 female chap. If i had a male id send it to you for free just so you wouldnt have to get rid of her lol. But if giving her away is best for her health then its sounds like a good plan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….