• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I Have Fry, When Do I Feed Them?

LindaMC

5 Year Member
I came home tonight to both parents out with the fry, there's a ton of them in there but they are so very small. When do I start feeding them and what? I have Hikari First Bites and a tube of Wardley Small Fry Essentials.

I also have frozen Brine Shrimp and Frozen Blood Worms but I don't think I should feed that to the fry. Right now they are on the bottom, picking at the subtrate.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, this is my first experience with fry from egg laying fish.

It's so exciting!

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Congratulations.

What species of fish? If the fry are swimming around (and I think they are, based on the info provided) you should start feeding them immediately. Start them out on the Hikari first bites. Soak a pinch of the food in a cup of water for 15 minutes and then squirt the mixture out near the fry with a clean dropper or turkey baster. I suggest buying a baster specifically for feeding fry.

Once the fry are 2 weeks old, start feeding them small amounts of frozen brine shrimp. I assume these are adult brine shrimp, not nauplii. The fry won't be able to eat them whole, but will pick them apart.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Baby kribs are not picky about food. Any dry food that is pulverized and soaked will do, though they will grow fastest with a couple feedings of live baby brine each day. I have been told that Cyclops Ease is a good brine substitute for fry growth.

LindaMC

5 Year Member
Thank you, I will begin feeding them when I get home from work later this afternoon. Yes, these are baby Pelvicachromis pulchers and although I'm not quite sure just what I'm going to do with so many of them, it is very exciting.

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
Cyclop-eeze has been a great fry food for me with recent spawns. I've been using it more heavily lately ( I bought this huge jumbo coffee-can sized container of it so I figured I should) and I've really liked the results so far. Seems to do a good job on bringing out the krib's natural colors too.

I remember the first time my first pair of kribs spawned for me....was downright magical watching them lead the fry around the tank....

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Feeding Krib fry

The first time mine bred I fed them Wardly's fry food in a squeeze tube, baby brine shrimp and they browsed on the algae a lot. They have now spawned 4 times and I have found that having them in a tank with a fair amount of algae really helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….