• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

heres what i`ve got in my tank.

new2rams

5 Year Member
o.k. heres what i have in my 75 gallon tank so far.tell me if these will be good tank mates.so far,i`ve had no problems with them getting along.2 blue rams,2 bolivian rams and three yellow labs.what else would you suggest to add in the future. thanks

Travis_Conklin

5 Year Member
Lab's???

When you say (Labs) I hope you don't mean...Labidochromis caeruleus. These fish are from north side of Lion's Cove, Malawi. There habitat is usually Sediment-Rich Rocky Habitat with a pH: 7.8 - 8.6 Water Hardness: Hard. Where as your (Rams) Mikrogeophagus ramirezi come from Orinoco River basin, in the llanos of Venezuela and Colombia with a habitat which consists shallow sandy or muddy bottoms with some vegetation. With a pH: < 6 Water Hardness: Very Soft. Not to mention the size difference of the fish and also the aggression levels. I would think the (Labs) even being a peaceful Mbuna, would still shred on the rams. I think you need to do a little more home work on which way you would like to go on that tank, South American Dwarves or a tank of Mbuna from Malawi. Just my two cents but I would never house my Dwarves with my Mbuna. I do keep both types of fish just not in the same tank. Also as from mentioned above there water parameters are allot different.

Gillie

5 Year Member
Yellow Labs being herbivores and diggers would eliminate the possibility of providing dense plant cover for the other fish leaving only any caves created by rocks or wood which the Labs will not give up without a fight.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,

Agree with the other 2 replies. If you have the Yellow labs, then in my view you have an issue. Basically one type of fish comes from Africa and the other from South America. Both require different water qualities and tank set ups. The African needs hard water and the south american acidic water. It would be unfair in my view to house both in the same tank. The Yellow labs are also quite territorial and the Rams would not have a chance to compete against the Yellows. I would suggest that you decide for which tank region you would like to have and swap the respective fish. Sorry but also my 2 cents worth. cheers jk :biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….