• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings from Cameroon

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
there is a variety of fish overhere but a limited supply wich has lead to people exploiting us with wat they are charging the government is relaxing the laws a lil bit regarding gettn stock from outside the eu for personell use.i would apreciate it if you can find out the cost for me of having fish shipped from SA.thanks

I really don't want to be rude or combative, but I think you are asking too much from a hobbyist. You want fish, it seems, but are not willing to put in the effort to find out how to get them to you. You want them; then it is up to you to find out how to get them.

Andre

5 Year Member
there is a variety of fish overhere but a limited supply wich has lead to people exploiting us with wat they are charging the government is relaxing the laws a lil bit regarding gettn stock from outside the eu for personell use.i would apreciate it if you can find out the cost for me of having fish shipped from SA.thanks

Hi Jordi

You should perhaps look at importing some fish from Czechoslovakia, Germany or Holland. They have a large variety and it will be much cheaper to import from there.

I have never seen any Pelvichachromis taeniatus species in South African pethops. The ones that I managed to obtain were imported from Czechoslovakia by a group of hobbyists pitching in together. We very rarely see some of the more common Apistogramma species, and they are also quickly picked up by local hobbyists.

Sometimes I wish we had access to some of the species that you guys can get, but unfortunately we dont have enough serious hobbyists in SA yet to create enough demand for them.

Our previous blacklists were also pretty restrictive, but a new one is being drafted which includes a list of species that is not seen as invasive so some fish which were previously illegal (ie most Chromidotilapia or Ctenopoma species) will now be legal.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Ruki

5 Year Member
Hi Jordi

You should perhaps look at importing some fish from Czechoslovakia, Germany or Holland. They have a large variety and it will be much cheaper to import from there.

I have never seen any Pelvichachromis taeniatus species in South African pethops. The ones that I managed to obtain were imported from Czechoslovakia by a group of hobbyists pitching in together. We very rarely see some of the more common Apistogramma species, and they are also quickly picked up by local hobbyists.
We have now Czech and Slovakia. :biggrin: Not one country. :biggrin:

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
Hi Jordi,

What species are you looking for? There are plenty of rare and interesting West African species available in the UK. I have Pelvicachromis "blue fin" and Steatocranus irvinei for example. I also found some Lamprologus congoensis in a shop today.

Try to get more involved with the UK based hobby and you will be surprised what you can get hold of. Try the BCA and the YCG for a start!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Go to www.fishbase.org and do a search for freshwater species in that country. When you see the list of species pick one you are interested in and open it up. There is a button for 'occurances' which will give you a list of all the places the fish has been said to have been collected, some will have links to papers with global position coordinates.

How long will you be there? Very little collecting has taken place there in many years due to political unrest. There are some very cool species to find.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here are a few I would like to see:

Chromidotilapia cavalliensis - Cavally River
the TRUE Hemichromis bimaculatus
there are several Tilapia sp.
and three different Tylochromis sp.

there is also an eel I would like to see: Mastacembelus flavomarinagtus
Maybe that eel has yellow fins?

viejo

5 Year Member
Tylochromis are a bugger to ship, the younger ones would probably fare better.. Don't be put off by the underwhelming descriptions in the literature.. Pierre Brichard: when he was still shipping from the Congo, told me that T. Lateralis was equal to a marine fish in coloration. Of course breeding coloration may only be reached once a year under a full moon :rolleyes:.. I've only managed to acquire Tylochromis on one occasion I lost them before they reached maturity...

Andre

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info!

Abidjan is a very nice place. Much cleaner than Douala and more organized. We had a stop-over in Libreville on the way and we had a beautiful sight of the rainforest and rivers as we were landing there. Gabon is definitely a country that I would like to explore a bit.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cameroon

Off topic Andre' I am interested in Paleontology and as long as yu are there! there is an important sire in the koum basin on the banks of the Mayo Rey. Some early, important Cretaceous mammals have been found there

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yeah!

just driving on the highway through the cutouts-- the walls look like tanish colored soap bars with shells and bones all through them--Some of the stuff is pretty old-just after dino times--Oregon has some interesting geology- I have just read something about the Columbian Traps--never would have thought it> fascinating place, also been to Dino monument in UTAH. Eye opener that one!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….