• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings from Cameroon

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks for the great photos. It's very fu to see the whole area where some of these fish come from!

And the mystery plant looks like it's a Crinum-most likely C. natans (sometimes called C. aquatica). Crinums are called onion plants because the base of the plant looks like a common garden onion.

Jeff

Andre

5 Year Member
Guess what I did today :)

lake_Barombi.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Lake Barombi Mbo or I'm wrong?:) You are very lucky man! I hope I would see it and dive in it some day...:frown:

Andre

5 Year Member
Heh :)

I finally managed to get approval to take a car out to Kumba. We were told that the road to Kumba is very bad, and boy were they right.

From Douala you take the bridge over the Wouri, through Bonaberi. Then you drive through Tiko and turn off at Mutengene. From there the road up to Muyuka was pretty good, but after that we had to drive at 30km/h most of the way to Kumba.

The road from Kumba to the lake is even worse. Lucky for us we had a 4x4, otherwise we would have had to walk there.

Standing next to the lake you really get a feeling of being in the jungle, with chimpanzees and monkeys going crazy in the trees surrounding the lake.

A lot of fish were next to the shore guarding schools of a few week old fry.

I have some videos and other pictures as well, but I will have to upload them on Monday:

epiplatys.jpg

fish_and_crab.jpg

myakamyaka.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Lovely pics! We want more! We want more! We want more!:biggrin:
I absolutely envy you, and I think I'm not the only one:wink:
BTW, M. myaka female is sooo pretty :)

Andre

5 Year Member
Both are from Lake Barombi. I am not an expert on the fish from the lake, so I'm not too sure about the first one, but the second one looks like Stomatepia mariae to me

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The second fish is a Stomotepia... probably S. mariae, maybe S. pindu, not S. mongo. The first fish looks like a Sarotherodon. I would guess S. steinbachi based upon color.

peterK

5 Year Member
Hehe, I'm also not an expert - so thanks for info Ted!

A little OT: The only way to visit Barombi Mbo for me (so far):wink:

westafrica

5 Year Member
Hi Andre!

Barombi Mbo... You made it!!!! You lucky guy! I can't afford to be as jealous as I would normally be (it's my #1 travel dream), given that you nicely share that experience with us :) . For that I thank you. Don't hesitate to post as many pics of this place as possible, I spent several minutes watching each one you posted until now...

I showed your pics to my S. pindu, and they didn't react as significantly as I expected. I'm affraid they are losing their "Cameroon instinct" :biggrin:

The Epiplatys look like E. dageti to me, but I'm not certain (I don't know their natural repartition zone precisely). Anyway hey're gorgeous!

Thanks in advance for any additional Barombi bo pics, and for your incoming updates ;)

Andre

5 Year Member
I went to Kribi again 2 weekends ago. Unfortunately I forgot my camera at home so I had to borrow one from my colleague.

We did not catch fish, although we did go for a quick trip in a canoe.

lobe_river3.jpg

lobe_river2.jpg

Andre

5 Year Member
The last picture shows the top of a waterfall.

One of the interesting features of the Lobe river is that it has one of the only waterfalls that falls directly into the sea.

JORDI

5 Year Member
Aqautic Shops

hi andre i saw some of your pics they are great i was just wondering if there are any good aqautic shops in cape town that will export to the uk if not let me know of any good shops as i can get my family to send me fish from cape town

Andre

5 Year Member
Hi Jordi

I am pretty sure that you have much wider variety of fish in the UK than we have in Cape Town. There are also a lot of paperwork and red tape surrounding the importing and exporting of fish, so I do not think it would be feasible.

JORDI

5 Year Member
Hi Jordi

I am pretty sure that you have much wider variety of fish in the UK than we have in Cape Town. There are also a lot of paperwork and red tape surrounding the importing and exporting of fish, so I do not think it would be feasible.

there is a variety of fish overhere but a limited supply wich has lead to people exploiting us with wat they are charging the government is relaxing the laws a lil bit regarding gettn stock from outside the eu for personell use.i would apreciate it if you can find out the cost for me of having fish shipped from SA.thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….