• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

fish identity--strange names!

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Does anybody know of or have any pics of some these fish with weirder names--albertini,blue eye,blue, frank (!),galaxis 1 and 2, marine,norberty 2, or orange I got these names off a sales list.

Randall

5 Year Member
Apisto Trade Names

Dear Dave,

Hey, I wish you'd tell the Apisto sellers to knock it off! I can't keep track of all the legitimate names as it is, let alone the trade ones!

The only one I can help you with is A. sp. "Frank." That's either a color form of or is closely related to A. sp. "Maulbruter." "Frank" is kind of a drab little fish with a prominent oblique cheek stripe. (-Please see correction posted below. R.K.).

Good luck with all the other names.

Randall Kohn

Zapisto

5 Year Member
apistodave said:
Does anybody know of or have any pics of some these fish with weirder names--albertini,blue eye,blue, frank (!),galaxis 1 and 2, marine,norberty 2, or orange I got these names off a sales list.

Hi dave

A. sp. "Galaxis" should be A. sp. "Papagei" (papagallo).
A. sp. "Albertini" should be Ap. eunotus "Schwanzstreifen"
A. sp. "frank" should be A. sp. maulbruter

the other i dont know

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I know Randall it gets confusing I ordered from this guy once before and got some great fish but I also got Eunotus Orangeswanz under 3 different names, how they can look at one fish that is obviously the same and givr it threee names is beyond me! Thx for the help you guys if you find out anything more let me know please

Neil

Actually, I thought that A. sp. "Frank" was A. sp. "Pebas", closely related to Morado, but not quite as colorful. But a fairly nice fish anyway. Ken (Cichlids1) has this fish.
A. sp. "Albertini" is a species-form of A. eunotus, probably "Schwanzstreifen"
Galaxis 1 is A. sp. "Papagei"
Galaxis 2 is A .sp. "Algadon II" I think?
Norberti 2 is a newer species-form of norberti, but probably A. sp. "Sunset"
Orange is another species-form of eunotus, probably "Orangeswanz"

Now here are my guesses:
Blue is a blue fish
Blue-eye is a fish with blue eyes and
Marine shouldn't be on an apisto list :roll: :D

Neil

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Neil said:
Actually, I thought that A. sp. "Frank" was A. sp. "Pebas", closely related to Morado, but not quite as colorful. But a fairly nice fish anyway. Ken (Cichlids1) has this fish.
Neil ,

do you have a pics of A. sp Frank
i got A. sp Pebas
here the pics : http://zapzap.zwf.net/gallery/Apisto_sp_pebas

i am not good in pics sorry
Neil said:
Now here are my guesses:
Blue is a blue fish
Blue-eye is a fish with blue eyes and
Marine shouldn't be on an apisto list :roll: :D

Neil
hehe
this drive me nutzs.. :)
amazing how the Apistogramma scene change since last years ,you never know what is what until you see the fish

Neil

2la,

Can anyone translate the German words for me? I think "orangeswanz" means "orange tail", but I don't know about "schwanzstreifen".

orangeswanz mean orange-tail.
schwanzstreifen means tail-stripe, I think.

Zapisto,
Try Ken (Cichlids1) He is a moderator here. I bet he has a pic of sp."Frank".
I am having a few comp. difficulties, so I couldn't look at your pic. Hopefully the next time I get on I will.

Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Apisto Trade Names

Hey Guys,

It's "Orangeschwantz" = "Orange tail."

I keep A. sp. "Frank." If I can get them to hold still long enough, I'll forward some photos.

Randall Kohn

Neil

Orangeswanz is probably just an americanization of a German word. I used it because Dave used it that way.
I also got Eunotus Orangeswanz under 3 different names
I am sure that I have seen it spelled that way before too. Yet more proof that we are neck-deep in nomenclature problems.
Randall,
So is the sp."Frank" that you are keeping a maulbruter? Because Pebas and maulbruter are quite different fish.
Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Apistogramma sp. "Pebas" & "Maulbruter"

Dear Neil,

Yes, A. sp. "Pebas" & "Maulbruter" are dramatically different. I believe Koslowski placed both in their own separate species groups, at least for the time being. Included in the Pebas group are also A. sp. "Morado" and "Purple."

Mike Wise tells me that A. sp. "Frank" = A. sp. "Maulbruter." The later, however, exhibits a richer coloration. By comparison, A. sp. "Frank" is fairly drab. Both are mouthbrooders. (- A. sp. "Frank" should read A. sp. Hauswell. R.K.).

Confusing, isn't it? Think I'll stick with the cichlids on the other side of the Atlantic; although, Pelvicachomis taeniatus is found in two countries, is known by a myriad of trade names for the same fishes, is hybridized in the hobby and probably consists of a species complex of at least three species. :?

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

December 18, 2003

Correction: Rereading Mike Wise's email message to me concerning Apistogramma sp. "Frank," I stand corrected.

Hi Randall,

A. sp. Frank is one of those terrible names. The first time I saw it was when Aquarium Lima pictured a highly retouched photo of A. elizabethae as "A. sp. Frank". I've also seen photos of A. sp. Papagei/Parrot (Morado/Purple color form) that had been sold as Frank. I would bet that this is what you have here.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Neil said:
Zapisto,
Try Ken (Cichlids1) He is a moderator here. I bet he has a pic of sp."Frank".
I am having a few comp. difficulties, so I couldn't look at your pic. Hopefully the next time I get on I will.

Neil

sorry neil here they are :

aae.sized.jpg

aad.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….