• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trivia about fish names

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most modern scientific descriptions discuss the etymology of the species name. Older description typically did not, so we need to guess why the describer used a certain name. What I find interesting is the number of time the describer misspelled or misinterpreted the name, but it has to remain with the species.

MacZ

A. commbrae
Nobody nows the real meaning, probably a misspelling of the find location "Corumba".

Mendezi is as far as I know grammatically wrong. But that could be wrong. I can work well with Latin, but when you make a form from a modern name rules apply I'm not familiar with.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Eigenmann wrote and sent to Regan a manuscript (unpublished) in which he would describe the species with the name Heterogramma corumbae for Corumba where some of the specimens were collected. This manuscript was never published so Regan decided to describe it as A. commbrae. He mistakenly read Eigenmann's handwritten cursive script wrong. Once published, right or wrong, the species name remains the same.

As for A. mendezi, Römer named it in honor of Chico Mendes. A "Brazilian rubber tapper and land rights leader Chico Mendes pioneered the world's first tropical forest conservation initiative advanced by forest peoples themselves. His work led to the establishment of Brazil's extractive reserves protected forest areas that are inhabited and managed by local communities." In 1988 he was murdered for his activism. Therefore, a misspelling of Mendes' name.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Thanks, Mike. Great info.

I guess mr. Mendes, is sadly not the only one who ended like that for forrest activism (-but only guesswork on my behalf)..

-r

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….