• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

defination of "pair "

discusone

5 Year Member
As a new dwarf keeper,i have an ethical question for everyone on this board.

When you buy dwarfs,do you expect to recieve,1M and 1F,when you are told you will recieve a " pair ".I am trying to understand the culture,as it were,of the dwarf cichlid community.
I am not pointing fingers at any one,or any particular shipper/breeder.But there seems to be a culture of never selling females.Always seems to be the," i cant guarrantee sex ratio",thing.

And the wild caught thing,would any dwarf keeper ever let go of wild caught females?.Gotta wonder,huh.

There seem to be a ton of requests to supply female dwarfs,i.e, apistos,nannos,pelvos.There seems there are a lot of lonely dwarf guys out there.
Just trying to stir up trouble.

MonteSS

Most sellers sell as a pair or trio.

Pair = 1m and 1f
trio = 1m and 2f
breeding pair = 1m and 1f that have currently or at one time spawned together.

Certain fish or age can not be sexed. Seller should clarify that sex is not guaranteed and in this case usually 5-6 are bought so odds are you get at least one or more pairs.

A pair does not always mean the fish are compatable and will spawn together.

If I got something other than this, I would feel I was deceived and would be rather pissed.

...Bill

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most dwarf cichlids are relatively easy to sex - if they are fully mature. The problem is that most tank raised fish are sold too young, just to get them out of the grow-out tanks. Many of the domestic fish are bred to be more colorful, too. This leads to colorful females that are hard to distinguish from young males. Most wildcaught fish tend to be skewed toward more males. This is because males are more "out and about" in their territory than females and fall into the net more often. Many of the "females" in the net turn out to be young males, too. I personally try to avoid buying "sight unseen". If I can't pick my fish, I prefer to buy 6-12 juveniles (and pray).

Bunnie1978

I've been trying to figure out how many females are in my group of 5 cacs. Is there a definate way to tell? I.ve read that young non-dominant males don't color up all the way!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've been trying to figure out how many females are in my group of 5 cacs. Is there a definate way to tell? I.ve read that young non-dominant males don't color up all the way!!

If they are close to 2"/5cm TL, then males will show a pattern of some sort over most the caudal fin. Females (wild) show no markings; (domestic) only on part of the fin. If they are smaller, then patience and letting them grow is my only suggestion. I usually only buy fish that I can see and choose. When I can't do this, I usually work (mostly trade species) with people I've known and trusted for a long time. I have an advantage of long (very long) years in the dc hobby which helps. I probably get preferential treatment.

Rod

5 Year Member
I now have a very Good source of Dwarf cichlids....Fishchick in Brisbane

Often though the fish that come in as "pairs" end up being a skewed sex ratio
A lot of sources are flat out getting the names right let alone sex of juvie fish
Also a lot aren't yet mature enough to get a clear indication of sex

However.....problem solved
The lady has bought a large magnifying glass with it's own lighting source and she vent sexes 20mm fish!
Hasn't been wrong yet

Usually pick a pair based on visual clues....then vent sex them to confirm

steph

5 Year Member
Most sellers sell as a pair or trio.

Pair = 1m and 1f
trio = 1m and 2f
breeding pair = 1m and 1f that have currently or at one time spawned together.

Certain fish or age can not be sexed. Seller should clarify that sex is not guaranteed and in this case usually 5-6 are bought so odds are you get at least one or more pairs.

A pair does not always mean the fish are compatable and will spawn together.

If I got something other than this, I would feel I was deceived and would be rather pissed.

...Bill

HI Rod

I agree with Bill 100%, a pair means 1M & 1F, I have bought from fishchicks in bris and she shipped to me, and she said yes she vent sexes to guarantee the right sex ratio. They also isolate pairs that form naturally in the holding tanks to sell as a pair, which is great as you have a much higher chance of getting a compatible pair if you can find one of these.

I have had a store in Syd be very reluctant to sell me a single male after the male in my 'pair' died as they import by pairs and it would mean he had more females.

I also think females are more in demand as people want to keep trios or more so you need to have twice as many F's as M's. The other issue is the temp of the tank and its affect on sexes, its very hard to maintain a lower temp to get more females in the australian summer!! I had my heaters off this summer and tanks were still 25 -26C - Bris would be worse.

HTH

Steph

kwesdog

Discusone

I hear you. I was wondering the same thing my self. I was shipped 2 pairs which ended up being trios and I was like "Great this is more than what I wanted!!".

After doing alot more research on apistos with the empasis on the ones I bought (cacs) I learned very quickly that I didnt get any females and even though they were small they were sexable when I got them.

I bought from aquabid as a pair. They are nice looking fish and all but I since had to go ask around at my local fish club for some females which I have been able to get 5 for fairly cheap.

I learned my lesson on this one and I am now in the same boat as Mike Wise stated that I will now only buy when I can see them myself or from trusted people.

Harry

Bunnie1978

Same exact thing happened to me... all males. I was wondering about if maybe the temperature I had them in affected what they became as they got older.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….