• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cf.'s and such

Greg PL

5 Year Member
I'm wondering if it is safe to assume that the (cf) species, or other closely related, which were recently divided are similar in their demands in regards to water conditions, tank space etc? I would say it's generally true, but perhaps there are some, who should be treated differently than the "mother species".
can you think of any exceptions?

Trying to make use of various sources we have the DATZ publication as a ID bible (is it still more or less up to date? ;) ) and, in my case, Mayland&Bork's SADC plus Roemer's CA1. the last two are a bit old, but have a lot of valuable information towards keeping and breeding the fish. if they are relevant for the "mother species" - will they work for the "new species" as well?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It depends on the species. I have some A. cf. agassizii Madeira Gold that will not reproduce unless the water is very soft and the pH<5.5. The female's brood dress is a dull yellow with a continuous lateral band - not the bright yellow with only a lateral spot seen on typical brooding female A. agassizii. Additionally, the male is permitted to swim among the fry from the first day they are freeswimming. At first I thought that it was just my male, but his son does the same thing with all 5 females that I have kept with the 2 males. This is quite different from the typical A. agassizii.

The DATZ book is still still fairly up to date. The IDs are quite accurate. The only name changes are A. angayuara for A. sp. Trombetas 1 (A145) & A. salpinction for A. sp. Trombetas 2 (A173). As for Römer's Atlas and M&B have quite a few mis-IDd species. The care & breeding data is fine for the the species pictured even if they are not accurately identified.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanuhrei

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(