• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best temperature for Apistogramma borellii “Opal”?

FishMonkey

I'm currently keeping them at 24c and was wondering if they would prefer a little cooler or if there's a recommended temperature to get a good ration of male & female offspring?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You need to find a copy of the following publication:

Römer & Beißenherz, 1996, Environmental determination of sex in Apistogrammai (Cichlidae) and two other freshwater fishes (Teleostei), J. Fish Biol. 48(4): 714-725.

or do a search on sex determination at this site.

FishMonkey

Thanks @Mike Wise

I found 3 battered liquorice gourami in the corner of a LFS who are now sharing the aquarium with the borellii. It's bit of an unusual combo but spotting these was a dream come true and it only cost me £11 for 3, in my gourami days I was looking at £30-50 a pair. I'm guessing there now becoming more available or they ordered some and struggled to keep them alive and decided to put them in the corner cheap.

Now the aquarium will have to stay at 24c and will be going semi-blackwater. Hoping the borellii will be happy with this.

MacZ

For licorice gourami I would go full blackwater and even lower pH than almost anything from South America would require. A. borellii are not a blackwater species though, so this could go wrong for them.

FishMonkey

Thank you @MacZ

My tapwater is so soft 5gh/<1 kh, and < 7ph, pretty far of their natural habitat but not hard as rock, I'm definitely keeping an eye on them for the minute but I'm thinking they should do ok. They are definitely looking much healthier already and quickly loose their shy reputation in a large tanks full of inverts and 3 other fish. I just have to fatten them up really, very slow eaters like the borellii, I can't remember what they were with in the LFS but they probably struggled to eat.

I know borellii are clear water but figured they wouldn't mind a little tannins. I always have a little anyway because I'm to lazy to boil wood forever and shrimp like leaves and bits that release them too.

Samala

24C not a problem at all. That's close to the average of what mine are kept at through the year.

Tannins from leaves and such shouldn't be an issue, I use lots of leaves and water is always a little tinted at water change. I've never gone lower than 40ppm TDS. Even that was an excursion. Not sure I would keep them at that level long term.

FishMonkey

@Samala Thanks for the input, I did see your amazing borellii set up in your thread so it means a lot, I'd hate to harm these little fish.

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to convince the misses to set up another aquarium or re-home these great little fishes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….