• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

being shipped priority...

DwarfApisto

How long can apisto's last if they are shipped priority? New at this whole online bying apisto's deal!!! just figured i would give it a shot seeing as we don't get much of an uncommon selection of apisto's.thanks for your input in advance everyone!!! Also who is a very reliable source for apisto's?

sasikan

i have been buying online now for many years and rarely lost a fish .it usually takes 2 or 3 days to get fish to me from the states, but it must take longer then that for fish coming in from Asia ? they have breeder bags now that seem to do a very good job, even better if you can get one fish per bag.heat pack and ice pack depending on the season will help to maintain a good water temperature.

Racine Vice

Jeff Michels, aquaticclarity on this forum, is an excellent source for Apistogramma and many other fish for that matter. He is a great person to deal with and his fish are of the highest quality. Check out his website http://aquaticclarity.com/. He also has a section on this forum.

Scott

animalmgc

5 Year Member
I've dealt with Dave for over 2yrs now and have NEVER been dissatisfied his fish are top quality as well as his service.When I first started collecting Apistos Dave gave me a guiding hand Hes GREAT people

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
@ Sasikan.... I get requests all the time from people in Canada to send them fish, but they never follow through on my request for them to let me know what paperwork I need to include for the fish to get through customs. Do you know? I have been told that rules changed in 2011... but I do not know any specifics.

sasikan

its not very complicated the customs officers (in Canada) want the name of the fish (Latin name) and the cost of the fish they don't need shipping cost. i went at custom and made inquiries on the fish we can cross border with and (chiclids ) are ok. if you are not sure if your species of fish can come to Canada its better to ask first ( i have been buying tropical fish from the US for more that 20 years now and never got refused)all the seller needs to do is add a little note in the fish box ,with name of fish and selling price! if there are any rule change in 2011 it never affected me yet.

Aquatopia

I've dealt with Dave for over 2yrs now and have NEVER been dissatisfied his fish are top quality as well as his service.When I first started collecting Apistos Dave gave me a guiding hand Hes GREAT people

X's 2!
I don't have an experience with buying fish from any of the other breeders on this forum but they certainly seem like good people to me. Dave on the other hand has taught me a ton and his fish are very beautiful but more important to me very Hardy compared to my previous sources!

Matt1892

have you ever ordered from apistodave? If so how are his fish? I heard they are top of the line? can you confirm that at all?

X's 2!
I don't have an experience with buying fish from any of the other breeders on this forum but they certainly seem like good people to me. Dave on the other hand has taught me a ton and his fish are very beautiful but more important to me very Hardy compared to my previous sources!
+1 for Apistodave
Received fish from Dave earlier this week, cross country trip no DOA's and so far they are doing great. The Box-a-pistos deal is nicely priced if you have the tank space or some friends. Luckily I had both. Haha.

beachcichlid

5 Year Member
I feel the answer to your question is not the reputation of the breeder but the policies of the US Postal Service. The USPS doesn't care what's in the box, just what's written on the outside of it. Despite the urgency implied in the name, a box sent Priority will not travel at the speed as a box marked Express. Fish breeders want you to be happy with your fish; they want you to order more in the future. The ones I've dealt with (Dave included) pack the fish well for the journey. After that, it's you taking the risk between the two levels of service offered by the USPS. I have ordered fish Priority and some did not make the journey. I've never had a fish perish travelling Express or overnight.

sasikan

for me it does not matter if i use priority or express they both will arrive after 3 days (must be my location)i have tried it many times now it still takes 3 days . i now save my money and have people ship to me priority i ask the fish shippers to try and have one fish per bag and it usually always works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….