• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Tank - Sand a must?

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
I was told that I must use sand only as my substrate if I want my Apistos (wild) to feel comfortable and display their most natural behavior, including an increased chance of spawning. From what I have seen, the Amazon is mostly sand substrate.

I plan to only plant Amazon Swords...which I believe should be okay growing in sand.

Any ideas on this? I am a little concerned about the maintenance of sand and possible filter problems. But, I do think sand looks amazing.

-Mike

Griz

5 Year Member
I don't know if sand is really a "must", but I would say it is definitely preferable. I had the same misgivings as you when I first used it in my apisto tank a year and a half ago, but I have found sand to be much easier to maintain than I had imagined. Debris tends to sit on top of the sand and doesn't work it's way down the way it does with gravel. Debris also tends to collect in low spots and in the tank corners. I find it fairly simple to siphon it up off the bottom when performing water changes. You will find that apistos really don't stir it up much and even then, the sand settles very quickly. I'm fairly certain that you won't regret it and that your apistos will appreciate it.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Sand is definitely NOT a must as many apisto breeders and hobbyists in Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore do NOT use sand. I myself only use sand in a few tanks with special purposes. The majority of other apisto collectors and breeders in Hong Kong even do NOT use sands as the substrates for any tank!!

The alternative substrates here include all kinds of aquasoil. Moreover, some breeders simply use "naked tank" to keep and breed apistos. Many fish farms in Hong Kong and China use naked tanks for breeding apistos, too.

In order to breed some more technical species, if one uses sand, then it requires extra equipment to maintain soft and acidic water... while here in Hong Kong, we use ADA aquasoil (from Japan) as the substrate which could provide soft and acidic water in a very stable manner... Moreover, aqua-planting on ADA soil is easy and well-supported by the nutrient of the soil.

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
Does ADA offer sand substrate with extra nutrients for plants? Is it available in the US? The only option similar to this available in my area is seachem flourite and eco-complete. Neither of which I particularly like for an Apisto tank.

I am pretty sure the sand I get from my LFS does not effect water quality at all. It is larger grain size sand, and may be easier to maintain with plants. I have not yet put it in my tank, and am waiting to get all my options on the table.

Apistt_ed

Hey mike,

As of right now, I don't think ADA soil is available here in the US. I asked about it and inquired about it a few times and it isn't really available to us at the moment it seems. On the other hand, silica sand is a good alternative. I have found some silica sand that is larger than regular grains of sand but definitely smaller than that of regular gravel and it works excellent. I have found black silica sand from a local petshop that is mostly used for planted tanks and have found it to be my favorite as my anubias and java ferns and amazons love the stuff. You could go with anything form/size of silica sand from filters and or go straight to most run of the mill aquarium shops and ask for the stuff and they should know what you're talking about. Sand isn't a must for apistos and I've found mine to even like a tank well planned out with regular gravel with leaf litter, it comes down really to your preferences and liking really. john

fishgeek

I either use inert silica sand of very small size, problem is it kind of floats until water logged, so when putting it into an established tank it will stick to the surface tension for the first days or so, to avoid this i place it in cups and then turn cup upside down as putting in water and make mounds on bottom , air ttraped i the sand may bubble up with sand particles still stuck to it though it at least reduces the amount

or nothing
most of my breeding occurs wiht very littel on the bottom of the tank

if using sand a thin layer will not become aerobic and is easier to maintain if not plnating

andrew

zmirek

5 Year Member
Hi,
It seems that behind question "to have sand or not to have sand" is hidden much serious matter. Namely kind of substrate we are using is reflection of our own way of keeping apisto's.

If we are going to keep them in "natural" (or rather close to natural) way we should definitely use sand. Apisto are bottom oriented fish so if we would like to see their natural behaviour related with seraching for food (i.e really amazing for me masticating sand and after that throwing them through gills), taking care of larvae/fry placed on substrate, digging "craters" or any other kind of "construction" activities there is no other choice than sand. Of course "proper one" means having no effect on water quality.
As for plants that are planted in sand I can say (basing on my own experience) that however they are growing slower that those that are planted in gravel they are healthy with good looking roots.

So that was solution for "total apisto-oriented" people.

Those of us that would also like to have better conditions for plant will do choose gravel. But simultaneously they will lose some of behaviour described above since gravel is usually much bigger that fish mounth. Observation of child-keeping activities may also be shorten and more dramatic. Namely parent fish will place their larvaes on gravel but some of them will be fallen into free space between grains that practically means loss of them.
Sometimes fish can pick grains one by one that also looks really cool.
When choosing gravel you still they have to remember that such substrate should be "water neutral one".

Between those 2 ways there is a way when you are using special substrates - like ADA soil. In some areas that is even more "user-freindly" that sand (as it helps to keep proper pH) but IMHO do not fully substitute it (due to size of grains)

Last way is bare-bottom tank. I know that this is much more easier to maintain and you do not have to worry about changing water parameters by substrate, but for me is the last way to use with apisto. I know that due to above advantages this way is often use by breeders but even for them thin layer of sand should works well.
Maybe in tanks when leave litter is really thick and there is a lot other of hideouts (dead woods, created by java moss etc) you do not need to use sand (because is invisible).

Just my 0,03 PLN (cents in local currency ;-)

Best regards

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
I hear that a base of laterite and then very course sand on top will work well for plants.

Has anyone tried this method?

I have been advised by my knowledgable LFS owner that it will be very hard to grow plants in just sand, even the hardy amazon sword.

Christine-FishGrrl

5 Year Member
ADA Aquasoil definitely is available in the US. Locally, I can get it in San Francisco at Aquaforest and I know others have gotten it at different stores. The cost of the Aquasoil at AF is ~$36 for a 9 liter bag. I'm going to get the Amazonia Aquasoil for a new 46 gal tank I'll be setting up and I'll need probably 2 bags. It is very soft so you don't need to worry about it scratching the glass.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Christine-FishGrrl said:
ADA Aquasoil definitely is available in the US. Locally, I can get it in San Francisco at Aquaforest and I know others have gotten it at different stores. The cost of the Aquasoil at AF is ~$36 for a 9 liter bag. I'm going to get the Amazonia Aquasoil for a new 46 gal tank I'll be setting up and I'll need probably 2 bags. It is very soft so you don't need to worry about it scratching the glass.

so it will be a piece of super good news for many apisto hobbyists in the USA :)

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'I have been advised by my knowledgable LFS owner that it will be very hard to grow plants in just sand, even the hardy amazon sword.'

i've grown most common plant species in plain sand. i always had a problem with layered substrates, due to the way that the bottom mixes with the topping and becomes a mess after removing and re-planting plants.

a lot of people have opinions on whether non aerated areas will become dead. i have never had that happen. the roots apparently aerate the substrate, and if the tank is fully planted, it doesn't take long for the roots to fill the substrate. if you've ever grown a plain old amazon sword for more than a couple of months and tied to pull it, you'll know that the root mass is all over and through the substrate.

i like the plain silica sand that can be purchased at home depot as decorative sand.

rick

emoore3

5 Year Member
I believe there are two aquarium stores in the US that carry ADA stuff. One is in Houston and the other is Aqua Forest in San Francisco. If you search some of the planted tank sites (www.plantedtank.net) there are alternatives to the ADA soil. Soilmaster is one that comes to mind.

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
Good news....Aqua Forest in San Francisco will ship substrate!

They have most kinds of ADA products and push the Aqua Soil. Check out this site with pics of their store:

http://www.e-aquaria.com/aquaforest.html

On the ADA website, it says that their "Bright Sand" is natural Japanese river sand that is "particularly suitable" for stemmed plants. I will try to get my hands on it, for sure.

ericbullock

5 Year Member
emoore3 said:
I believe there are two aquarium stores in the US that carry ADA stuff. One is in Houston and the other is Aqua Forest in San Francisco.

The distributor of ADA products in the US is Aquarium Design Group, located in Houston, TX. Their site can be found at:

http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com

If you get a bunch of people in your area together I'd suggest doing a group order of the ADA substrates. Its expensive stuff but excellent!

Regards,

Eric Bullock,
Rockville, MD

Greg PL

5 Year Member
MikeNYC said:
On the ADA website, it says that their "Bright Sand" is natural Japanese river sand that is "particularly suitable" for stemmed plants.

every time I read/hear this kind of message I promise myself never to buy anything with "especialy for aquarium use" label :)
does it say what makes Japaneese river sand so particularly suitable for plants? ;)
is it some clay and other additions? but then that's no sand anymore...

hard to argue with a reputation like that of Mr. Amano, but I am not calling his aquascapes "natural aquarium". I appreciate and admire them, but I also know it's not this "Bright Sand" (or any substrate alone), that does the trick :)

apistoireland

5 Year Member
keep it simple. No need to buy all the expensive substrate. In breeding tanks a thin layer of horticultural sand is fine. you get it in garden centres and it is cheap as chips.
I also use it in my planted tanks as a first layer. about 1.5 inch is enough. on top of that goes a 2-2.5 inch layer of river sand from my local river. Grain size is between 1.5-3mm. Before you use river sand make sure it is inert. A drop of hydrochloric acid will tell you. If it bubbles it contains lime and will harden your water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….