• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another noted hobbyist/collector in the Manaus jailhouse

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I got some gossip from a well respected German scientist/author today. It seems that Heiko Bleher and an accompanying photographer got caught trying to take out preserved fish specimens from Manaus without permits last week. The last anyone heard they were in the jail in Manaus awaiting decisions on what to charge them with. I imagine that Heiko won't be allowed into Brazil anymore once this is settled. You would think that after Horst Linke got caught trying to take fish out of Brazil without a permit, people would think twice about doing this. Brazil is not fooling around!

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

You can read about it here.

I wonder about the petition to free him.
Without a doubt, Heiko is a person, who did a lot for aquaristic knowledge and of course, I don't want to see him in jail.
But on the other hand, if he tried to carry out fishes without any license in the momentary situation in brazil, he don't have to wonder, that he is arrested. This is stupid! This is definitely not legal, so the IBAMA did right to arrest him. And the IBAMA made it clear for several times, they are not kidding. Only a few weeks ago, several brazilian exporters were arrested, not to forget Horst Linke, a few years ago, as Mike mentioned. So why the hell, went Heiko there for fishing without licenses? He should have known, that he is also well known at the IBAMA, so they knew what he did there and had an eye on him.

I don't hink, that a petition will help in this case... it's his fault and he have to bear the consequences.

regards,
Rolo

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello,
I agree with Rolo, yes he did a lot for the aquaristic world, but if you play with fire you get burnt. He knew the rules, they have all been warned and they knew the risk and cosequence. Sorry, cheers jk

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
We should not be speculating as to the reasons why Heiko Bleher was arrested in Brazil. Rumors are not going to help the situation. If he was trying to remove fish, even preserved fish, from Brazil without the proper permits then he was breaking Brazillian law. Their fish. Their rules. What anyone else thinks about their laws is of no consequence.

The laws that Brazil has put in place that restrict the collection and exportation of fish are not so different than the laws in the USA (and Europe I suspect) that also protect our wildlife from exploitation. Do not get caught with a dip net in your car in Tennessee...

viejo

5 Year Member
You would like Heiko. He is personable & very approachable. Some tropical fish 'celebraties' tend to take themselves a little too seriously. This is not the case with Heiko. He posts on a number of forums on a regular basis & just might show up here.

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I must say: it is very interesting how people believe what is written in the media and immediately take everything for granted (and some judge others before actually a judge does).

I have no time to explain it all, but it will be on my website soon, already some pictures and worldwide comments on it (see Worldwide comments).

The short fact is: We were NOT imprisoned because of Bio-Piracy; We were NOT judged (probably never will); of the 3 accusations 2 are false; and INPA confirmed the 3rd also.
And:
Even a judge will listen first to the accused, but I guess there are also here some who are above the judges...

Anyhow, thanks for those who see the facts and think positive and for Mark Wise: My adventure has NOTHING to do with Linke's, not at all. Not even the accusations. And I am already planning my next Amazon expeditions (in january, March, and November). And everyone knew I was there, the media is another lie that they have been looking for me. I am so often there and everyone knows, ibama, Inpa and I am sure the Federal Police also. BUT it sounds better in the news whe they are looking for the "criminals" for some time...

All the best and ask before you condemn,

always

Heiko in search for new fishes... for science and the hobby, never breaking a law (unless you all do by keeping fishes)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….