• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NEWBIE FIRST SPAWN... LIGHTING QUESTION AFTER DISASTER!

Ade205

HI all.

Well, not new to fish keeping, but definately learnt a lesson or two this week!

As said in my introduction on joining site, I've kept male apistos in many planted Discus tanks and with other dwarf Chiclids and community fish over the years... I now fancied trying to breed them.

I had a male double Red cac in one of my community tanks for a while, he's the one in my profile pic.I pulled him and popped him in a quieter tank with just a small group of harlequins and dwarf rainbows in. Found a female at lfs, added her along with a few coconut shells and waited. Two weeks later, the female totally changed colour from a brownish colour to bright yellow and started to spend all her time in one of the shells...then about 7 days after noticing this, she appeared with fry! I was ecstatic! Counted between 20 and 30 fry, however, lights for tank are on a timer and following morning there was one fry remaining.

After above, I left lights on and mum was excellent, collecting her baby up in her mouth if wondered to far, and spitting him back into a more safe spot! Her one baby survived a week without any noticeable threat from other fish, all which stayed near surface, though mum was pretty aggressive if anyone got to low and close! Dad was allowed close without aggression.

Then, with me thinking he'd be safer if moved, I decided to pop him in a fry trap.. was big mistake! Was a mesh net type.. I caught him ok, popped into trap ok. Then, about 5 mins later right infront of me, mum seen him in trap and tried to suck him into her mouth to take him back to her little patch she'd used for last week. The little chap had no chance as she tried to suck him through netting! Guess I totally underestimated how parental these amazing little fish are!

Hoping to get fry again soon, and just wondering, what do others do regarding lights overnight if leaving fry in with parents?

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Some species startle more quickly than others when the lights go off. For these I use a small 'night light' above the tank that is on all of the time.

Ade205

Thank you for your reply Mike.

I will definitely be keeping some lighting on next time, which looks like could be sooner rather than later as mum is back in her cave.

Noticed that for a few days after she lost last baby her Black markings became far duller, but her Yellow colour remained bright... she now has full vivid Black markings again though, and she's definately gaurding her cave again and only coming out briefly at feeding time.

How fast can they spawn again? If she does have another batch of eggs, it's happened just 10 days after she brought last batch of free swimmers out, and 3 days after losing her last fry.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Periods between spawns depends on several factors: presence of fry, water values & quality, and most importantly food. Apistos can breed as soon as 1 - 2 weeks after loss of a spawn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….