• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another aquarium question

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi,

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question! :oops:

Does the plastic frame around the bottom and the top just for decoration to trim the tank or does it provide strength to the glass walls at all?

I was given a 30 gal aquarium that had a lizard in it for a while. At some point the light was pushed back too far and the plastic trim on the top of the tank was melted and distorted along a 6 inch length. This plastic is split apart a 1/4 inch gap.

I never thought of it as a problem until now. I think all the strength is in the glass. But I'm beginning to have second thoughts now that I'm preparing to fill it with water. I'd hate to get a 30 gallon lesson the hard way! 8O

Michael

farm41

5 Year Member
You can get a new plastic trim at AGA if it is an AGA. I ordered a new 55g top trim and including shipping it was only $12, pretty cheap for I thought. My 38g center brace broke a while back, good excuse to buy a new tank, then I moved the 38g outside for a daphnia tank, 3 weeks later the glass broke. The wife and I were both real happy we replaced it when we did. :D

My suggestion is to replace the trim or don't fill it with water.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The smaller tanks that have thin glass and one piece injection molded trim do use the trim to contain the bowing of the glass, which can pop a seam. Large tanks that do not have one piece trims have a center brace of glass siliconed in the top of the tank to control the bow.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi,

Thanks guy's. I'm glad I paid attention to that little voice in the back of my head and asked first!

I'll check around to see if I can get a new trim piece. What is AGA? The brand name? I have no idea what brand the aquarium is, but the hood was a Perfecto and I was told it came with the tank when they bought it.

Isn't a 30 gal Long a standard size? Would the brand name make a difference in this case?

The 30 long is my favorite size tank. It's roomy for most fish and I can still carry it myself when I need to move it.

Michael

farm41

5 Year Member
AGA = All-Glass Aquarium, the brand name. You just need to email or call AGA with the dimensions, and they will tell you if their trim will fit your tank.

HTH

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Thanks again Farm. I went to one of my LFS today and measured an AGA 30 gal long. It was the exact same size as my Perfecto, so the LFS ordered me a piece of AGA trim for $11.99 plus tax.

By the way, he had 3 'mystery' agassizi's that I brought home. All he could tell me about them is that his wholesaler got them from a breeder in New Jersey. We'll see what they grow up to be.

Michael

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….