• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggressive cacatuoides

Eva32181

5 Year Member
Is it just me, or are cacatuoides more aggressive than rams and borelliis? I have one male in particular - his colors are fantastic - that is a mean old snaggletooth. Likes to eat babies, too.

mordor

5 Year Member
Well, I ma under same impression. Recently I was able to observe how females defend their spawning sites and it seems that Cacs are more brutal that e.g. A. sp. 'Masken' which seems to 'gently' push intruders out of her territory. Cacatuoides female seems to try bite cory's eye off :) On the other hand Cacs are in comunity tank so there is a reason for beeing brutal, much more enemies. Males are also nastier, I got 3 macmasteri males and they fight from time to time, cacatuoides male simply swims around in search for a oponent.

Neil

Eva,
There is no doubt that, as a general rule, cacatuoides are more aggressive thna borellii. However, I have seen some pretty tough rams in the past. Pound for pound (or gram for gram) cacatuoides would probably win a fight with rams, given similar individual dispositions! If cacatuoides are breeding or you just have an all-around "mean old snaggletooth", then he is going to be a pretty tough customer for most fish in the tank.
I have had some really mean males and females in my time, but the males usually are not too inclined to eat babies, until they get a little older. Sound like your male need to go to an Aggression Mangement Seminar and a Parenting class :D .

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'Sound like your male need to go to an Aggression Mangement Seminar and a Parenting class '

are you thinking of offering such a service soon neil? sorry i didn't know about you when i had my red devil.

he he, rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….