• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi ID

nox

I have a pair of apistogramma bought as agassizi just wondered if they were anything other than agassizi, such as are they from a particular area etc. I couldn't say they are wild caught and weren't labelled as such, what really attracted me to them was that they don't appear to be a line-breed variety and more a wild type variety.

Not fussed either way, but it would be nice to know if they are a particular type of agassizi.

PXL_20240218_150159701.MP.jpg

PXL_20240218_150215873.jpg

PXL_20240218_150120979.jpg

nox

Please realize that this is just a descriptive term. There is nothing 'official' about the name.
Yeah I get that, makes sense as the closest thing I could find matching the markings was the double red. I think these fish are cool, subtle and wild type looking, even if it isn't.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Yeah I get that, makes sense as the closest thing I could find matching the markings was the double red.
I really like them, I had some very similar ones, They bred true (all the males showed the same colours) so I assume they are a line-bred domestic form. I kept them for a while, but ended up with all male fry, and didn't continue with them,

Mine were allegedly Czech bred. There is a very poor video here (and the fish is obese) <"https://www.apistogramma.com/forum/...tification-of-my-agassizii.23999/#post-113244">.

cheers Darrel

Reactions: nox

nox

Hi all,

I really like them, I had some very similar ones, They bred true (all the males showed the same colours) so I assume they are a line-bred domestic form. I kept them for a while, but ended up with all male fry, and didn't continue with them,

Mine were allegedly Czech bred. There is a very poor video here (and the fish is obese) <"https://www.apistogramma.com/forum/...tification-of-my-agassizii.23999/#post-113244">.

cheers Darrel
Yeah they are very similar. I was originally going to get borellii opal but I stumbled across these and was really taken by them. They've already shown spawning behaviours after only two weeks of being in the tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….