• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi Tefe redback or Hybrid

Champ_17

5 Year Member
The shop at my country order some Apistogramma from Netherland and Mystery Agassizi was sold as Agassizi Tefe redback.
when you look closely to its zigzag scale and white seam colour pattern, It look like hybrid of A.Tefe and A.Agassizi double red.
I wonder that how distinguish can interbreed? since I had heard about the hybrid between A.Tefe and double red will produce offspring which deform scale and low fertilization.
ulrv2.jpg

credit: Mr.Apistolism for these nice photos.
yzrm1.jpg

credit: Mr.Apistolism for these nice photos.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not the best photos for identification. I do not see any of the dark red wavy abdominal bands that are diagnostic for A. sp. Tefé, however. They look like a dark body domestic strain of A. agassizii. I could be wrong of course. Maybe they are a red-tailed strain of the A. agassizii population from Rio Tefé. Like I said they are not the best photos for identification.

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Not the best photos for identification. I do not see any of the dark red wavy abdominal bands that are diagnostic for A. sp. Tefé, however. They look like a dark body domestic strain of A. agassizii. I could be wrong of course. Maybe they are a red-tailed strain of the A. agassizii population from Rio Tefé. Like I said they are not the best photos for identification.
Oh I'm sorry for poor picture because The fish belong to my friend so i can't take more picture.
Anyway I ordered the A.Tefe redback from the same seller and the fish will be arrived soon.
I will take more clear picture for the fish.
Thank in advance Mike. : )

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I assume you refer to Chuck Rambo's 'A. agassizii' photo. This definitely is A. sp. Tefé. Note the prominent abdominal stripes on the body. I don't see the same stripes on mike_impos photos.

Jacco

4982391159_fe3f6cfe2c.jpg

yes i revered to this picture.... the red is much less obvious i see now. I'm amazed at how many different colours come from just the rio tefe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….