• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unknown A. Agassizii?

BrassFace

Hi guys,

This is my first post and I’m very excited to share my love & stories of Apistos here!

So I need help of identifying these A. Agassizi. I bought them as Agassizi double red few days ago and soon realized they look little different than my double red before. They both have blue bodies but with yellow fins.

Male #1
A0ACDAD1-4470-4851-B0E8-63375119E67C.jpeg

70EE4998-1FDD-42CA-B3E8-887B5973BD5F.jpeg

Male #2
7E7444F0-2C6F-4EA2-A3B9-42AED6AFD8C9.jpeg

EFC15D6C-AD0E-4F90-8C5C-69EEA9EBF9EB.jpeg

Male #1 is about mature size and #2 is slightly smaller. Male #2 has lightly more orange/red than #1.

Can these be hybrids? Or are they wild type? What would happen if I pair them with my true double red? Any helps are appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Zimin

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I see no obvious signs for them being hybrids and I'm not able to tell whether they are wild form(s) or belong to one or different domestic strains. I personally would not breed with a male and a female if I wasn't sure that they are the same species, which in case of wild forms usually means that they belong to the very same population. On the other hand, your "true double red" are likely hybrids of several different species - all subsumed under the name "A. agassizii" - anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….